Chapter 1: Misunderstanding

Whisper the Wolf sat on a bench outside a cafe in Spiral Hill Village. She had once again been invited to visit by her best friend, Tangle the Lemur, who said she had something important to tell the wolf. However, Whisper was in deep thought about how her relationship with Tangle truly was.

The feelings had started during the Metal Virus. Whisper and Tangle were with each other for most of the event, fighting the Zombots and looking out for each other. However, when Tangle became infected, Whisper lost her mind. It was the second time Eggman had taken everything from her. First, his forces ended the lives of the Diamond Cutters, including her sibling figure Slinger, father figure Smithy... and Claire. Then, Tangle, her only friend since then, fell victim to Eggman's creation.

From that moment, somewhere deep in her turbulent soul, Whisper figured it out.

Her train of thought was suddenly derailed by a somewhat loud "Eyyyy!"

Tangle smiled as she sat down on the bench next to Whisper. She had spent the last couple of days working up the courage to do what she was about to do. She knew Whisper was a good listener, and expected her to understand and accept what Tangle was going to say. Unfortunately, on this particular day, that wasn't the case.

Whisper, not expecting Tangle to make a move, went back to her thinking.

"So, here's the important thing I have to tell you. We've been friends for a while now..."

A miracle occurred, and now the lemur was back. When Tangle was restored by Sonic and Silver, Whisper couldn't help but tackle the lemur to the ground with a hug. She couldn't let go. She just wanted to stay in that moment of bliss forever. It didn't stop there. After the resolution, at the party in Spiral Hill, Tangle had been there to comfort Whisper when she was stressed up about certain guests. Whisper distinctly remembered wagging her tail as Tangle wrapped her arm around her.

"... we've always been there for each other..."

Was this what love felt like? Whisper had spent most of her life alone and unloved. She'd sort of forgotten how it felt. Yet, at the same time, she deeply knew how it felt, because she had been in love before. Smithy and Slinger had been like family, but Claire Voyance was different.

"... feel like it goes beyond platonic..."

The Diamond Cutters had come together from all walks of life; a former Eggman goon, two childhood friends from the jungle, a merc just trying to stay alive, and a meek orphan. Somehow, Whisper and Claire had ended up together, and those were the best days of Whisper's life. The heart-wrenching of watching over communicators and seeing Claire's small, frail body be crushed by the Shadow Androids had given her the same feeling as she had when Tangle was revealed to be infected; a void of sorrow and hopelessness.

"... but I don't want to ruin our friendship..."

It was at that moment, feeling that sensation again, that Whisper knew she was in love again. She had always assumed that the feelings would never return, that she had her chance and blew it. But now here she is, visiting a town time and time again to be with a special friend, one who makes all her worries disappear...

"... I'm probably just being an idiot, but if you feel that way too, say it."

Whisper suddenly snapped back to reality. "What? I'm sorry, I got lost in my thoughts..."

Whisper meant well, but Tangle's reaction was to slide backwards to the opposite end of the bench, recoiling as if Whisper had just insulted her moms, and put on a big frown.

"I knew it!," the lemur yelled, standing up from the bench. "I knew you didn't feel it! I am an idiot!"

"Tangle, wait-"

"I shouldn't have tried," Tangle grumbled, punching a wall once. "I should have just let it sit."

"Tangle," Whisper called after her friend, turning the corner. "TANGLE!"

"I GET IT!," the lemur screamed back. As she limped away, Whisper heard her bursting into tears.

Whisper just stood there for a moment. As she thought about her feelings for Tangle, she may have just destroyed their friendship.

"What have I done?"

-

Walking into an alleyway, Tangle tried to wipe her tears, choking on her sorrow, when she heard a sinister feminine voice from down the alley.

"Hey, Tangle."

The lemur jumped, striking the best fighting stance she could in her emotional turmoil. "Who are you? What do you want?"

The voice suddenly came from right behind Tangle.

"I want your body."

Before Tangle could respond, a cold, slimy hand pressed itself over her mouth, eliciting a muffled scream from the lemur. The next thing she felt was a hard blow to the back of her head, and then nothing.