Chapter 8: Love

Whisper knocked on the door to Tangle's house. It had been a couple of days since Leuco's apprehension and the lemur's freedom, and Whisper had been checking in on her and her family each day.

The door swung open to reveal Carole, who welcomed Whisper with a firm handshake.

"We've had doctors over and had her examined, you know," the ring-tailed mother explained. "They said we should wait a few days to make sure there were no symptoms, and today they gave us the okay to let her back into the world."

Entering the front hall, Whisper heard a rumbling upstairs, and looked to the stairway. After a few seconds, Tangle came bolting down, turned the corner, and ran up to Whisper with a hug.

"I know I did this every day," the lemur cried, "but I'm just so happy to see you!"

Whisper simply chuckled and returned the hug with her own arms.

"So, since you can come out," the wolf suggested, "shall we go to the place?"

"What place?," Tangle blindly asked.

"You know, the cafe," Whisper pointed, "where this whole adventure started."

"Oh..." The lemur frowned, then smiled. "Let's get pastries!"

Whisper simply smiled and nodded. It felt so good to have Tangle back.

As the two headed out the door, Cling walked into the center hall.

"You think Whisper's figured it out?," the sifaka asked her wife.

"I'm pretty sure," Carole firmly replied, "that she figured it out a long time ago."

-

Tangle and Whisper once again sat on the bench outside the cafe. Tangle had bought a strawberry-frosted donut, and Whisper a slice of pound cake. As the two friends sat there, enjoying their snacks, Tangle had something to get off her chest.

"So, Whisper," Tangle began, twiddling her thumbs. "The last time we were at this cafe, I had something to say, and you didn't pay attention because you were thinking to yourself. I know I took it the wrong way, and that you're usually a good listener, so... shall we try again?"

"I'm all ears," nodded the wolf.

"Alright," Tangle noted. "Ahem."

"We've been friends for a while now. We hit it off after the fight with Master Overlord, what with the toaster joke and all. After that, I decided to ask you to come over to my town, and now you're practically a full-time resident. I helped you during the Mimic incident, and since then, we've really always been there for each other."

"Then the Metal Virus happened, and I knew that you would be hurt. I've come to understand you. From what I heard, you went FERAL for me, and once I was back, I started to consider: I feel like it goes beyond platonic feelings? Like, when I was trying to calm you down over the Babylon Rogues, the whole "simmer, girl" thing wasn't meant to be, but it kind of came off as flirting?

"I'm not really sure how I feel, but you seem to be showing signs too, but I don't want to ruin our friendship. In short terms... I've realized... I kind of like like you."

Whisper opened her eyes and placed her hand over her mouth.

"I'm probably just being an idiot," Tangle finished, "but if you feel that way too, say it."

"Tangle," Whisper gasped, "are you kidding? Ever since the Metal Virus, I have known exactly how I felt about you. From the day we first met, I've had a thing for your body, your mind, and just who you are. Every chance I get to be with you are the best parts of my life, and I would be honored to spend our whole lives together if we ever reached that point. I love you. More than you could possibly imagine."

It was now Tangle who cupped her hands to her mouth.

"R-really?"

"Really!"

For a few awkward moments, the two girls sat there in complete silence.

Then Tangle leaned over and kissed Whisper on the lips.

The shorter girl's eyes flashed wide open, before closing as she leaned into the lemur's embrace, tears streaming down both of their cheeks.

The two were unaware that they were being watched by a benevolent force.

"THEY'RE KISSING!," Jewel, hiding behind a bush, silently screamed into her phone. "THEY'RE K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

"Gang," Cling solemnly spoke from the other side of the line, "we did it."

"So, what do we do now?," Carole asked her wife.

"Perform a celebratory preparation of the guest room for Whisper, of course," the sifaka smiled.

Moments passed before the two animals finally separated from their kiss.

"You know," Tangle confessed, wiping her tears, "my parents have been trying to get me with you for a while. They're probably going to want you to move in with us."

"I've been a girl without a home for the longest time," Whisper acknowledged, "but your family is wonderful, and I would be honored to live with them."

"Just so you know, your room is Mel's when she comes over to visit," Tangle teased.

"I'll just share your bed, then," Whisper chuckled.

"Oh, alright," Tangle gave in. "So when's our first date?"

"Aren't we at a cafe right now, talking and eating together?"

"Oh," Tangle realized. "Yes, I suppose we are..."

Tangle's obliviousness and dork streak were her best qualities to Whisper. They were exactly what she loved her for.

Thank you, Leuco, the wolf thought, not for splitting us apart, but for bringing us together.

-

Tangle, Whisper, and company were unaware, but from within a dark alleyway, there was someone else watching them. The figure was the splitting image of Tangle, with the exception of slightly darker fur, black markings around her lips, and white eyes with completely black sclera.

"I'm..." the figure stuttered. "So happy... they finally got together..."

They shook their head, getting back into the moment.

"Whisper, I'd come in and rain on your parade," the mysterious, but familiar individual interjected, "but there's actually someone I have a bigger grudge on. I'm going to deal with HIM, then you're next..."

The Tangle being turned back into the alley, exposing a small, silver and blue machine affixed to their back. They laughed maniacally as their tail stretched out, grabbed the roof of a building, and swung them out of sight.

-

NOTES:

I'm coming back to this story after about half a year. It's my first attempt at writing a genuine, multi-chapter Sonic fic. I don't think it's that good, but it is content for my OTP Whispangle, which genuinely needs more healthy rep in the fandom. Then, someday, IDW will pitch to make it canon...

This story was originally meant to be part of a connected universe of fics. The Mimic stinger at the end was supposed to set up a story featuring him as the main antagonist and two of my OCs as the protagonists. I'm probably never going to write it, but hey, if I ever write my OCs into anything and it is received well, I may blow the dust off of it.

I'm thinking I'll keep posting my Sonic stories on Wattpad. I have a few one-shots and AU drabbles saved up, so I'll probably make one big story for my one-shots and a few stories for my AUs.

I do have a couple of ideas for big stories, so be on the lookout!

- Kit