Island of Moenia

REI has cursed himself over and over. 

Why did he give that little girl the stone?

Oreen scampers down the grassy hill, the small green blades covered in dew. Mist curls around the land, waves crashing on the boulders by the ocean in the distance. Many are covered in algae and barnacles, small creatures hiding in between. She glances behind her, but cannot discern anything in the dense fog. Oreen slips the rest of the way down the slope, mud splattering her boots. Everything else is quiet, the white vastness muffling all sound. A lone seagull calls in the distance, but no one answers it. 

Oreen finally arrives at the beach, damp grass giving way to wet sand. The tiny grains stick to the mud on her boots, but she doesn't mind, walking quietly towards the ocean.

The wind carries the ocean spray to her, salty droplets stinging her cheeks. Something flashy catches her eye. She alters her course, jogging over to the slippery boulders half covered by water. There, around one of them, hangs a metal cross, bits of it eroded away by rust.

Oreen glances around one more time before running back, stepping onto the old wooden boardwalk. Time has eaten away at the wood but it's still sturdy enough to walk on. Waves crash against the sides as she walks all the way to the end, stopping and lifting her head to the air, closing her eyes. 

It's so peaceful here. 

She does not know what lies all around her unseen.

A dark shape appears near the surface, tattoos glimmering underwater. Oreen crouches down, then crosses her legs, propping her head upon her hand. A boy surfaces, shaking water droplets from his black hair. He swims closer, smiling. She smiles back.

Many people would be afraid of the sharp teeth, trailing gills, and tail. The glowing tattoos that cover his torso. But not Oreen.

"You said it was urgent?" she asks, worried. His happy demeanor disappears, hair turning a dark shade of navy blue.

"They're going to come for you."

"Me?" He shakes his head.

"Everyone. All humans. The Mer and the other creatures have lived in hiding for so long. They're going to extract revenge for what was done to them in the past."

"Not the Demons?" Another shake.

"They can't be bothered, just the Mer." There's a tone of disgust in his words as if he can't believe he is one of them. "Listen, take this." Oreen holds out her hand as he drops a small stone into her palm. It's like his eyes: ever-changing colors of the sea. "If you need me, I'll come help you. Just crush the stone and I'll know." She nods, wide-eyed.

"I'll miss you," she whispers. The Mer smiles sadly.

"I'll miss you too." Slowly, she reaches out and pushes his dark hair out of his face, shocked at how cold he is. The boy leaned into her touch, closing his eyes, dark eyelashes lowering. Oreen can see the individual droplets on his skin.

"Oreen!" she spins around, hearing the faint sound of her mother's voice. She pulls her hand away, and the boy swims backward. There are a thousand things she wants to say, but all of them drop dead on her tongue, the fog closing in as she stands up. "Oreen!" The call is louder now. 

She manages a wave before the boy vanishes into the icy deep forever.

*

Rei shakes his head to clear it and follows Flynn into the market fray, familiar smells bombarding the trio from all directions. Caramelized fruit, roasting meat, and spicy sauces with a hint of sweetness. Brews and natural dyes that turned the Merchants fingers different colors. Shai walks beside him, absorbing the atmosphere. Her head tilts up as a tiny black dot falls from the sky, rapidly approaching.