Sailor Boy

FLYNN gathers Shai, Kadence, and Rei in one of the alleyways outside the Medik.

He was in an extremely good mood. They had gotten a good laugh out of Shai after both she and Rei had exited the club, poking fun at her until her cheeks had turned bright red. All because a Nineja had called Rei gorgeous, along with the heavyset bartender. And now that cute Flutter girl was coming with them. Even Kadence wasn't as dark of a brooding mess.

"Alright, tomorrow we're meeting at the entrance of Moen. There's one more thing we've got to do though. I need to get you guys a place to stay."

"Flynn-" Shai protests. He holds up a hand.

"It'll be just for one night, and you won't have to pay if you do the dishes."

"So generous," Kadence pipes up sarcastically. Flynn aims a pathetic kick at his shins.

"You're staying with me, Drakon, gotta make sure you don't fly away. Everyone, brace yourselves for Giselle." The four of them weave through the packed streets, the afternoon sun just as bright.

They arrive at another small wooden door, the hotel stretching three stories up. Flynn knocks, rapping his knuckles on the wood before stepping back and waiting. There are shouts from inside until suddenly, the door flies open and the Exceptis is yanked indoors.

"Ah! It is the Exceptis boy! Flynn, 'ow I 'ave missed you!" 

Giselle was a middle-aged lady with a thick french accent and too much perfume. Her hair is a halo of soft pink feathers; she's a Gifted. Giselle planted a kiss on both his cheeks and Flynn could just imagine Kadence laughing his head off behind him. "What 'ave you brought me 'ere today?" The elderly lady pushes him aside, pulling the other three through the door.

"Finally! Someone 'andsome!" She squeezes Rei's shoulders, smiling. As Flynn wipes lipstick from his face, he grins at Shai, who sticks her tongue out at him. "Pretty girl! Why are 'ou wearing men's clothing!" Giselle crosses herself before shoving Shailene into Kadence's arms. Kadence blushes furiously, hastily setting her back on her feet. Giselle doesn't say anything to the Drakon, just turns around.

"Come, come. You need to eat!" Flynn shrugs as they all file behind him.

"You still have lipstick on your face, Exceptis boy," Rei ruffles his hair, laughing. 

"Oh shut up handsome," Flynn fires back. 

The hotel is called the Suavis Rosa, rose bushes creeping up the windows outside and filling the place with a drowsy aroma. Giselle screeches in French at the people in the other room, pulling out chairs for them to sit in.

"Why does she speak French? I thought Latin was the deal around here," Shai asks, looking around the place at the many paintings of women on the walls.

"Maybe you should ask her," Flynn suggests, smiling at the terrified look on Shai's face. Shai? Flynn guesses his brain had done it automatically. Was it really that easy to become comfortable with people you have just met? Giselle bustles about, setting bowls of soup in front of them, commanding them to eat it.

"What brings you 'ere, Exceptis?" she asks, leaning forward. Kadence snickers as Flynn averts his eyes from her heaving bosom.

"I was recommending the Suavis Rosa to my friends," he says, jerking his head towards Rei and Shai.

"Ah," Giselle chuckles. "They are looking for a comfortable 'dark corner' as 'ou would put it?" Shai chokes on her soup, coughing into her elbow, her eyes pricking with tears. Rei's hair flares blue, not meeting anyone's eyes.

"Um, no. Though I'm sure they'll come back for that some other time." Rei glares at him, his eyes murderous. Giselle smiles knowingly.

"'ow long will they be staying?"

"Just the night," Shai replies for him, her face still flushed. "We're proposing that we do the dishes since we don't have any coins yet." Giselle contemplates this for a moment, staring at her. Flynn feels the need to puff out his chest as Shai's gaze doesn't waver.

"Done," Giselle says, getting up with a swish of feathers. "But just one room." She winks, collecting their dishes.

"You're a very lucky boy," she whispers in Rei's ear as she hobbles away. After Giselle leaves, Kadence bursts out in fits of laughter, cackling loudly.

"Shut up," Rei snaps, though his tone is friendly.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow. Maybe my boy lizard here will change his mind about coming or not." Flynn salutes before dragging a still howling Kadence out the door. When they get back to the ship, Flynn leaves the cell door unlocked.

*

"There you go! That's it." Flynn's mind is strained, but his sister coaxes him on, and the blocks begin to move, one after the other floating in the air.

"Look! I did it!" little Flynn shrieks contentedly. Yvonne claps, scooping him up. He was still small enough to be carried. The happy moment only lasts for so long.

"Well, what do you suggest we do, Yanre?" His father demands, throwing his hands up.

"I don't know! But I do know he's part Luto! Do you not remember what that means?"

"He's not just part swamp creature, honey. He's an Exceptis, remember?"

"Yes, I know!" his mother groans. "But how did this happen? We were going to be a perfect family and then..." Flynn rips himself from his sister's arms, careening through the room in which his parents were arguing, flinging the door open, and sprinting into the night.

This was not the only time they fought. He couldn't stand to watch his mother as she stared into his bright green eyes, guilt written all over her face.

Flynn slams the trapdoor with his mind, trying to wrench his thoughts back to the present. We were going to be a perfect family and then...

He wanted out of Moen, and this was the way.