Profound Bond

"Tell me your story."

Castiel was having a terrible case of déjà vu, which was not necessarily an abnormal occurrence for an angel of millennia, but it was still disconcerting. He looked around for the owner of the voice and found it to belong to his father. Castiel inhales deeply and walks to sit across from him, coat moving behind him in the breeze.

Chuck was sitting in front of a laptop, glasses he didn't need perched on the end of his nose. Castiel had to exercise a great deal of self-control to not roll his eyes. He needed to at least be alive to fight the being in front of him.

"You know my story. You are the beginning and ending of it."

Chuck scrunches up his face and clicks his tongue. "Did you know you were only supposed to be a minor character, Cas?"

Castiel shrugs, his blue eyes narrowing. He knew Dean was probably looking for him by now and hoped the man wouldn't do something stupid.

"Yeah, so, you were only supposed to be around for three or four books and then you were gonna be..." Chuck makes a slicing motion across his throat. "Gone."

"Okay..."

"But..." Chuck makes two glasses appear from the void and puts one in front of him and one in front of Cas. He pours an amber liquid from the ether into them and takes a long sip. "Have you had Tennessee Whiskey? There's a reason there's a song about it."

Castiel simply breathes, an action he still doesn't really need to partake in, but one that feels natural nonetheless.

"Right. Anyway, so yeah, uh, three books. But I sent out Lazarus Rising, and you exploded."

Cas narrows his eyes again.

"Not literally. Well, not yet anyway."

The narrowing turns to a scowl. "Why am I here?"

"I already said." The righteous fury makes a slight appearance, and then just as quickly as it appeared, Chuck hides it once again. "To tell me your story."

"You..."

"No, Cas. I mean yeah, I put some things in front of you, but you still chose free-will all on your own."

Chuck drinks more and looks back to his computer. "So yeah, all the fans fell for the deep voice, trench coat, and obliviousness. So, I kept you around."

"Um... thank you?"

Chuck looks over the screen. "That's the thing isn't it? You are my creation, my son, have been since the dawn of time, but everything you have truly learned has come from one man, including the disrespect, and I want the story of that."

Castiel swallows, another action that is not yet needed.

"But, because it's a story, we're gonna start at the beginning, and I'm gonna help with that."

Castiel is unsettled, worry creases every feature, and Chuck rolls his eyes.

"I'm not going to kill you Castiel."

"That is appreciated. However, who is going to read this story?"

Chuck shrugs, the action apparent on his face. "I'm going to start again, and I don't know, I figure they'll get a pretty big kick out of it."

Castiel's brow furrows and he leans in towards Chuck, "You are going to create another world?'

"Oh yeah, I mean, just because you guys failed doesn't mean the next batch will."