Lazarus Rising, Take Two!

Cass leans back against the facsimile of the brick wall that makes up the exterior of Chuck's bar. Dean can feel Cas take in a breath and holds his own until the angel releases it. He wasn't usually on this end of things. He was used to his never-fail smile dropping panties (and on occasion when he thought no one would know, boxers) all over the continental U.S. He begins to second guess himself, thinking Cas only held his hand because he felt Dean needed the comfort, and fuck that.

"Look, man, if..."

Cas stops him by placing his hands with his smooth, long fingers on either side of Dean's face.

"When I reunited your soul to your body, your body was mangled beyond recognition. Your innards were shredded, your entrails all but removed. I carefully rebuilt you, molecule by molecule, atom by atom. The time it took caused my true form to lay waste to the nature surrounding me."

Dean closes his eyes as he remembers the state of the trees surrounding his grave in Pontiac, Illinois.

"And yet, Dean Winchester, I still found you beautiful."

And fuck it all, Dean was so incredibly taken by that. He opens his eyes to stare into those of his best friend, an action they were very familiar with.

Dean is filled with a renewed sense of confidence, and he thinks, for a blessed moment, Cas feels the same way.

"Eh, you just have a crush on my soul."

Cas removes his hands and smirks. "Perhaps."

Dean moves to stand by Cas and bends his knee to rest his foot flush against the building. He crosses his arms and looks towards the perfect falsity of the sky.

"What are we gonna do, Angel?"

"If you are asking in general, I doubt we have time to broach that subject."

Dean laughs slightly as air escapes his nostrils. "I guess I kinda mean about us, Cas. I mean if you want..."

Dean can see Cas shake his head fondly in his peripheral vision. "I would very much like an us, Dean."

"I uh, I know I ain't given you much reason to think I want this, but fuck man, I do."

"Why do you say that, Dean? Because you have flirted with countless women in front of me?"

Dean lowers his head and licks his bottom lip. "Well, that, and how I treat you sometimes."

"Ah." Castiel focuses on the storefront in front of them. "I always assumed it was because you knew I would come back."

"It ain't right, man. It's sick."

"Perhaps it is not the healthiest way to engage in a relationship."

Dean laughs. "I'll work on it, man."

"I will also work on the things I can do better, Dean."

Dean uncrosses his arms in order to grab Cas's hand. "But what if you get happy?"

Cas smiles sadly, a wistful thing. "As you know, Dean, our lives bring with them great uncertainty. Although your affection makes my existence far better, I cannot be happy until you and Sam are safe."

"Which means, Chuck."

"Yes."

"We just went out for beer."

"I always knew your beer habit would be our end."

Dean looks over to Cas and sees a smirk he easily mirrors.