Gathering Blue

"They were forcing the children to describe the future they wanted, not the one that could be."
~ Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

"Oppa, this is Lee Donghyuck. We go to school together." I watched as Yoonwoo picked at the shell of his ear, his gaze fixed on the floor. "Introduce yourself, oppa."

"Hello, I'm Baek Yoonwoo, a 22-year-old junior at Brown University." He dipped his head in a small bow and Hyuck returned it.

"Nice to meet you."

"Where's Gangwoo oppa?" I started down the hall to put my purse and shopping bag in my room. Hyuck followed me.

"He had a date." Yoonwoo sounded less than enthusiastic.

"With Mina eonni?"

"No. She's mad at him."

"Oh." I smirked as I walked back into the living room. "Hyuck is staying for dinner."

"Can I?" Hyuck raised an eyebrow.

"On Tuesdays we have japchae. Gangwoo said he would take me to visit Grandma when he gets home." Yoonwoo was still picking at shell of his ear, and I noticed that it had begun to bleed.

"Don't pick." I pulled his hand away. "I'm sure he'll be home soon."

"Gangwoo lies." Yoonwoo's gaze flitted across the room.

"He'll take you to see Grandma, oppa. Why don't we make some tea?" I padded softly into the kitchen. "Hyuck, what kind of tea would you like?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Ginger," Yoonwoo decided for us. "Ginger is Grandma's favourite."

"Okay." I put the kettle on and took three mugs out. "I'm going to use the washroom. I'll be right back."

I was only gone for a couple of minutes, but when I returned to the kitchen the atmosphere seemed agitated. Yoonwoo was pacing back and forth murmuring to himself, while Hyuck stood by the counter with his arms crossed watching the water boil.

"Is something the matter?" I took a step towards Yoonwoo, holding out my hands. "Oppa, take a deep breath." He stopped pacing and did as I said. Then, he shook his head aggressively. "Oppa!" I held his head still, turning my attention to Hyuck. "Did you say something to him?" Hyuck was at a loss for words. "What did you two talk about while I was gone?"

"No!" Yoonwoo tore my hands away from his head. "No!"

"Okay, I'm sorry. I won't touch you, oppa. I just don't want you to hurt yourself." The panic was beginning to bubble up inside me. "What's wrong?"

"He said I hurt you," Hyuck divulged. I frowned.

"Jiwoo is sad." Yoonwoo began to pace again. "Jiwoo is sad because of you. I don't like you."

"What are you talking about, oppa?" I pleaded but he ignored me. "I'm not-" That's when it dawned on me. I had told him about Yechan the other night. Yoonwoo must have assumed Hyuck was the one I was talking about. I let out a heavy sigh. "It's not him, oppa." Yoonwoo ceased his pacing, turning to look me dead in the eye for the first time in God knows how long.

"What?" Hyuck voiced the confusion everyone was feeling. The kettle began to whistle.

"It's not him," Yoonwoo repeated softly.

"That's right. This is all a misunderstanding. Hyuck is my friend." I began to pour boiling water into the waiting mugs. "Don't you think you should apologise, oppa?" My voice was trembling.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine. You were just standing up for your sister. I get it." Hyuck took a mug and offered Yoonwoo a small smile.

"What's going on here?" We all turned to see Gangwoo watching from the doorway. "Who's your friend, Jiwoo?"

"Hey, oppa. This is Lee Donghyuck. We go to school together."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Baek Gangwoo." He definitely looked like he had been on a date. He was wearing dark jeans and a button-up shirt, his hair gelled back.

"Who did you go out with?" I took a sip of my tea.

"No one you know. Is there any hot water left?"

"Enough. What type of tea do you want?"

"Do we still have some of that plum tea?"

"I think so. You're the only one that drinks it." I opened the cupboard to search for it.

"My mom likes plum tea." Hyuck reached over my head and grabbed a teabag. I felt a warm blush bloom across my cheeks as I shut the cupboard.

"Well, tell your mom she's a woman of good taste." Gangwoo winked.

"Gangwoo," Yoonwoo blurted and everyone turned to look at him.

"Yes, hyung?"

"You promised to take me to visit Grandma." He stared hard at Gangwoo's feet.

"I know, but Woojin texted me and Joonhyung-"

"Gangwoo lies."

"I'll take you tomorrow. I promise," Gangwoo assured him. Yoonwoo left without another word. A few seconds later, there was a thud as his bedroom door shut. Gangwoo sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Don't do that, you'll ruin it." I set my mug down on the counter and moved over to fix Gangwoo's gel-caked hair. "Why can't you just take him? You know how much it means to him. Plus, it does Grandma a lot of good."

"I know that, but-" he was about to give an excuse but I held up a hand, cutting him off.

"Save it. Yoonwoo oppa's right."

I made for my bedroom and Hyuck followed me. We both sat on my bed. "Sorry, that wasn't the best introduction."

"Don't worry about it. You all seem close." Hyuck's gaze wandered from the way his hand was splayed across my duvet to the hem of my sundress. "Jiwoo."

"Mmm-hmm?" I was glad I had decided to clean my room the day after summer break began. I wondered what he thought of our home, of my family. Then I wondered why I cared.

"I have something for you." He reached into his pocket and produced a little wooden box.

"Hyuck." I knew what it was. I didn't want to open it. Just like Pandora's box, once that lid came off, a million things were going to come to light. I felt it deep in my bones.

"Open it." He took my hand and placed the box in my upturned palm. Gnawing on my lower lip, I slowly removed the lid. I inhaled sharply when I saw the necklace I had been looking at in the mall lying on a bed of white veleur. My heart sunk.

"Oh, Hyuck." Somehow, I managed to keep my voice light. Hyuck plucked it up out of the box.

"Do you like it? I saw you looking at it."

"I love it. Thank you." I set the box down between us.

"Here. I'll help you put it on." He gestured for me to turn and I did, brushing my hair over one shoulder. His gentle touch caused goosebumps to blossom across my skin as the pendant settled into place over my collarbone. When I turned back around, he looked as though he wanted to kiss me. "Jiwoo."

"Yes?"

"Who is it?" His voice was cautious, as if he was worried he would scare me away.

"What do you mean?" I knew exactly what he was referring to, but I didn't want to answer the question.

"When Yoonwoo hyung said I was making you sad, you said it wasn't me. So, who is it?" There was no escaping the inquiring look in his eyes. I wanted to rip the chain from around my neck.

"No one. Yoonwoo oppa was confused." I had never hated myself more than I did in that moment.

"Oh. I see."

Hyuck didn't stay for dinner that night.