005 : enter stage left

I hope you'll allow me to tell you, a poorly kept secret: Misfortune loves orphans

I hope you'll allow me to tell you, a poorly kept secret: Misfortune loves orphans. And by a simple look into the library of humanity I'd say the lot of you agree with me, though if you'll allow me to add something to that repertoire it would be that there is no such thing has a happy ending. Humans love to imagine that there is, but the ending is just that, the end, it is not a happy thing by any means because I am not a happy thing, and I come for all. Because in the vast cosmos and the grand scheme of things? Death is an inevitable shadow that looms over all for immortality in the grand scheme of the cosmos means nothing when the lives of humans are but a second to a god. The fleeting spark of a human life is nothing in comparison to the roaring fire of a god's. But even gods die, because the end always prevails.

This would be a fact, the fact that misfortune loves orphans I mean, that both [Name] Fielding and Yuji Itadori would become well aware of, though the former knows quite a bit about it already. Misfortune loves orphans, as spiders love old houses, as tape recorders love statements and as strangers love masks. Misfortune loves orphans as [Name] Fielding loves Yuji Itadori and vice versa, though that's getting a little bit ahead of ourselves now isn't it?

Well I have to admit I do enjoy hoping ahead sometimes, after all life is like a box of timelines, and time falls around us like rain. It doesn't pass through reality like a river, it falls in thick heavy droplets to the ground before bursting with life. And as much as I wish to say this is a simple story, that both of those two who find themselves entangled in worlds which changed their lives for the worse, I cannot say things are so black and white.

But I would like to focus our attention on our dear Archivist, or rather as they might put it, what remains of [Name] Fielding. Though calling them by that surname even after all this time still doesn't feel quite right I'll admit that much. Anyways before we even get to that, I hope you'll forgive me for jumping around so much, I'm going to tell you a few things.

For starters the fact that [Name] Fielding has never enjoyed sleeping. You'd expect one like her to, to enjoy the blissful escape that dreams might offer, to be lulled into a place free of the anxieties of the waking world. But wherever she does sleep it comes with the most horrid of nightmares. The same dream over and over of running through the streets, the archives, the tunnels, anything to get to that place in time. Only to be side tracked by that damned curse of The Stranger. It was a terrible dream, and by the time she awoke from it the scent of iron and the slick of sweat on her palms was so ingrained into memory that it was truly inescapable.