ØØ4

" So, how have you been?" Louis asked as they sit down at the table. During the ride, they didn't talk, they just sang and laughed at each other. Emma was glad that it wasn't awkward but it still felt like she was having lunch with a good friend, not her brother.

" I've been good. I live in the flats by George Park with my friend Brooklynn." Emma nodded with Louis.

The waitress came up took their drink order, then left. They sat in silence for a few minutes before Emma's eyes started to wonder. Her eyes fell on a tall man, dark brown waves. When he turned she saw the softer facial features. They made eye contact, before she quickly looked away, muttering, " Shit."

Louis looked at her, then looked where she was looking. Seeing Emma turn around to look at the window. " What, what's wrong?"

Emma put her bottom lip between her teeth and sucking on it. Before she could reply the man from before showed up, " Emma?"

" Hey, Luke," Emma smiled warmly, " How have you been?"

" I've been good, would have been better with a ring back." Luke slightly jokes.

" I tried to ring you but you didn't answer. The number must have been wrong." Emma tried to hide the panic from her voice, since she didn't even try to ring. She felt Louis' eye burning through her and Luke. She barely even remembered his name, that was a crazy night.

" Oh, well, I don't want to intrude on your date anymore, so I'll be going." Luke smiled, after writing nine digits on a napkin then walking away.

" Who was that?" Louis asked, taking the paper after asking a question with his eyes. Emma nodded and sat back in her seat.

" I honestly have no idea. I hooked up with him after a party." Emma took the paper and put it in her jacket.

Louis looked at her, trying not to be judgmental. He just got Emma back in his life, he wasn't going to ruin that on the first day of hanging out. He nodded slowly, " Sounds like a fun night."

Emma laughed, " It's okay, I know you don't approve. But I have no idea, I don't remember it."

Louis nodded, which made Emma laugh since she was used to his reaction. She didn't necessarily understand why he was shocked, in the media all he did was party. But she also was beginning to hear rumors about them being very controlling about the boys brands. Maybe he wasn't the bad boy party animal, maybe he was still the boy she left two years ago. And left her three years ago.

" So what do you do for fun?" Louis changes the conversation since the awkwardness was overwhelming for him.

" Party. Other stuff." Emma shrugs, then puts her elbows on the table and leans on them," I mean, recently I've been getting close to these people, that I haven't seen in two years. There's also this telly show that I like."

" That's a lot rolled into one. But how are you liking the people?" Louis asked, sipping on his drink since the waiter came over while explaining.

Emma looked at him, trying to see what game he was playing. Louis stared back, then smiled nervously under his sisters glare. Emma sighed, " I mean, they're nice and I missed them a lot. It's just that I was gone for two years, a lot has changed. I've changed and I don't think they will like me. But I still want to see if I can mend some of the shit I broke when I left. But I don't know if I can."

Louis' eyebrows raise ever so slightly, " Well, funny enough, I'm dealing with this problem myself. Well, not running away, but I had someone run away from me and it was my fault. So I was really happy when she came back to our lives. And she keeps telling me that she's changed and that she's scared her family is not to like her when she's wrong. Even if she changed my family and I still love her."

Emma let the words sink in, trying to find a way to tell Louis that he doesn't know her anymore but she just wanted to sit in the moment and pretend to be loved. Emma nodded and started sucking on her drink. " But what if she's a different person then when you last saw her?"

" She's still my sister." Louis puts his hand on Emma, running his thumb over her knuckles.

~~~

" Thanks again for lunch. You didn't have to pay." Emma hopped out of the car.

" Please, I have enough money to spend on a cheap diner." Louis shakes his head.

" Hey, I basically live off that diner. Be nice to it." Emma laughs. Louis joins in, feeling happier than he has in a long time.

Louis opened the door to go to the rest of the house, which was filled with the boys loud laugher. Emma seemed startled at the sudden volume, which gladly Louis didn't pick up. He knew the boys were loud so it didn't scare him, he was also the loudest of them all. He rounded the corner to come out of the hallway and into the living room, " Oi Oi!"

The boys all turned and coursed a greeting, Louis plopped down on the couch, slightly landing on Harry. Emma stood at behind the couch, watching the boys awkwardly. Then she cleared her throat, " Well, I think I'm going to head out."

Louis looked up, his mood sobering, " Yeah, alright. I'll walk you to the door."

Louis hopped up, then started to walk to the door when Liam interrupted them, " How about you say for dinner?"

Emma stopped, wondering if this would be a good thing. She wanted this but what if it got awkward? She also didn't want to overstay her welcome, " Oh, that's okay. I don't want to intrude."

" You're not intruding, we invited you." Harry piped up.

Louis, from behind Emma, shot the boys a look. Emma and him had just started to talk again and he didn't want to smother her to death or make her run off again.

" Oh, sure. I'll stay for dinner." Emma nodded.

Louis smiled then lead her to the couch. " We'll most likely have take out, so we can do whatever until we want to eat."

Emma sat down, between Niall and Liam. Zayn sat on the floor, between the legs of Liam. The tv was playing some show that Emma had no interest in. Niall then smiled, " Let's play truth or dare."