The Hard Frost

Ash Ketchum looked up to the sky with a grim look. Dark clouds were forming high above and he seemed visibly uncomfortable at the sight. "Ugh..." he muttered to himself.

"Aha!" cried Brock as he pointed to the horizon, "there it is – Greenwood Town!" In the distance was a village made of mostly log cabins. Misty sighed with relief as she clutched Togepi closer.

"Thank goodness...it's cold and I could do with a warm Pokémon Center!"

"Yeah..." agreed Brock, "it's only eleven but because we woke up at six it already feels like it's evening. It's all thanks to that frosty wind waking us up early. We could do with a rest."

"After that night in the forest – definitely!"

Because they were walking in front of Ash, neither of the friends noticed his frown deepen.

When they got to the town it wasn't the sight they expected. People were in their homes and those that were on the outside were rushing about with wood and petrol tanks in their arms. "What's with the rush?" wondered Brock before being nearly knocked over by someone passing. They eventually got their answer when they arrived at the Pokémon Center.

"It's the incoming Hard Frost that they're preparing for," said Nurse Joy.

"Hard Frost?" repeated Brock and Misty. "What's that?"

"It happens every few years. The locals know the signs immediately..."

"Yes. But what is it?" they asked again. They didn't notice Ash staring.

"A severe snowstorm. It starts with a fierce wind before tons of snow falls, burying the ground at least six feet and brings the temperature to below zero. The last time it happened it took two weeks before the snowplows and help could arrive."

"When is it coming?" said Ash almost too hurriedly.

"Tonight." Ash's hands fell from the counter to his side, not that his friends noticed.

"Two weeks' worth of snow. Well then, I suppose that puts a stop to us for now," said Brock. "We'll stay here for the night; have a room?"

"Oh, I'm so, so sorry, but all the rooms have already been taken by Trainers who don't have the resources to make it to the next town."

The Trainers grimaced and tried at a nearby inn. But it was the same story. "Your best chance to wait out the frost is to get to the ski resort at the top of the mountain," said the receptionist apologetically. "I'm sorry. We'd offer the lobby, but..." The Trainers knew she didn't need to explain, they also noticed at the Pokémon Center, but even the inn's lobby had travelers setting their sleeping bags all around.

"It's all right," said Ash quietly. "We all have to do what we have to do. How do we get to the ski resort?"

"It's up the hill. It's been a hard winter, so I bet there'll be room. They're a big hotel anyways. Oh, but I'm not sure about recommending them at this point," she went on. "See, our side of the mountain is steep, and the bushes and trees thick. It normally takes a whole day to get up there, but the cold is setting in..." She huffed a sigh. "I'm so, so sorry..."

OoOoO

The friends hurried to the local clothing store to suit up. Up until that point they had primarily worn the clothes they had with them from the start – none suited for harsh cold. Ash and Brock bought sweaters to wear over their usual shirts, thick, long socks and pants, gloves, boots, and large fur coats.

Misty however, only got the gloves and jacket. Ash glared at her from across the store. "Is that all you're getting?" he said.

"Well, yeah," said Misty. "All I need is the fur jacket."