Chapter 4- A Soul's Cry

Maya

I quickly picked a comfortable, sport dress I  unpacked few minutes ago. I attempted to rest in bed for few minutes trying to put my mind in order, still feeling distressed after the unexpected encounter with my cousin. I sat overwhelmed with feelings of guilt due to the way my aunt treated Ellyas earlier. 

I was ready for dinner even I was not that hungry anymore. I wished would have never agreed to be picked up from the airport in the first place. All of this could have been avoided if I would have known...Ellyas did not deserve this treatment from my aunt because of me. She  overreacted earlier and I was so sorry for Ellyas that he had to put up with her outburst.

I walked in the dining room. My aunt was sitting at the table waiting for me. Ellyas was in the kitchen. I saw him placing food in two small bowls, then he brought them to the table.

He placed one bowl in front of my aunt and the other one in front of me. There was also a large bowl of salad and a nice Indian bamboo made basket filled with bread, in the middle of the table.

" We have clam chowder soup and lasagna for dinner.  Pecan pie and ice cream for dessert", my aunt informed me.

" Sounds delicious!"I answered with excitement. I did not eat lasagna in a long time." Did you cook it?" I asked looking my aunt's direction.

" I don't cook much anymore darling ... I ve been too busy with work lately. Ellyas does most of the cooking for us. I hope everything has turned well tonight. I did not have a chance to taste it."

"I am sure it's great, judging by how yummy it smells!" I said looking toward Ellyas.

"Thank you. " Ellyas said quietly looking uneasy. Probably he was not comfortable to see me again, after witnessing the scene at the door, just few minutes ago.

I took a quick look at his face. His left cheek was still red and the left corner of his upper lip had a tiny crust of dried blood on top.

"What would you like to drink?" Ellyas asked  making short eye contact with me.

" Water, please. Thank you."

He brought me a glass of water and placed it in front of me, on the table.

" Mom, do you need anything?" He asked my aunt while standing beside her.

" No," she answered shortly, looking past him and turning her head toward me.

" May I sit? " He asked almost whispering.

She ignored him. He remained standing, waiting beside the table.  His head was lowered down, eyes looking down toward my aunt.

" Maya did you let your Dad know that you made it here safely? " My aunt asked suddenly.

I failed to answer her, preoccupied by Ellyas who was still standing beside the table. I tried to meet his blue sky eyes but they were far away, locked somewhere on the table.

I did not feel comfortable seeing him standing there. Was it because my aunt was still upset with him? Was it possible he might not be allowed to eat with us tonight? I quickly said  a prayer that everything will go well this evening.

"Elly, can you please sit here?" I ask smiling, showing him the chair next to my right side. " I need to ask you something about the clam chowder soup's recipe. I was never able to cook this soup right," I lied.

He nodded and returned a polite, half smile, moving his eyes away from me quickly. Before to proceed with my request, he looked toward my aunt again, waiting. He looked uneasy.