Chapter 7-New Beginnings

Maya

I woke up with my eyes on the beautiful, white roses, placed on the nightstand, next to my bed. The sun was embracing my room with its warm, sparkling rays.

It was hard to believe that it was my first day of college here, in Florida. I felt excited and nervous in the same time. Well, I could say more nervous than excited but I was ready.

I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom. I stopped in front of the mirror, taking a look at the person staring at me.

There were so many things that happened in such short time: my Mom passed away, I graduated high school, got accepted at college of medicine at UF in FL, and finally moved here with my aunt and my step cousin.

I had no clue how my life would look one year from now. Surprisingly, it was the first time in my life when I did not  care to know. I have decided to live each day at a time: no big plans, no expectations. Just live and seize the moment- carpe diem - my favorite Latin saying, or  make the most of the present.

I still felt that I made the right decision to move to Florida. It was painful to leave my Dad behind though. I've however known that both of us needed this change. I needed to focus on my new life, to leave the sad memories about my Mom's death in the past.

My dad also needed to focus on his own life. He was still young. I just wanted him to move on, maybe find a new love one day, and build a new life. If I would have stayed in TX, he would never been able to do anything else other than dedicating all his attention and time for my sake. I wanted  him to take the time and use it all for himself. He really needed that time for himself. I knew that he  even did not allow himself enough time to grieve my Mom properly, because he wanted to be strong for me.

As for me, I was determined to focus on school. I have also registered to volunteer weekly at the main hospital in town. I have decided to become the best doctor specialized in cancer treatments that I could become.

" Maya, are you ready?  Breakfast is ready! " My aunt shouted from outside of my room's door.

" Will be there in 5 minutes! " I answered back.

My aunt has been good to me, helping me to transition and adjust to my new life in FL. She was the main reason I decided to move to FL. My aunt was my Mom's only sister and sibling. She looked so much like my Mom unless she was tall, almost 6 feet. My Mom was 5'4, the same height I was.

Aunt Patricia has treated me as  I was her daughter since my first day here. She has proudly introduced me to her friends making me feel I was more her daughter than niece. I wished she would have treated her step son, Ellyas that well too. He seemed a genuine, kind person. I have been here for almost two weeks and did not hear my aunt saying any kind words to her step son.

I have noticed him working long hours in the house and in the yard almost every day, doing cleaning, cooking and yard work. I offered to help for few times but he has always refused me politely.

It was my impression that he was purposely trying to avoid me and to stay away from me. Since that  first night, when we hugged and kissed, he has imposed an awkward distance between us. Ellyas was usually pretty quiet around me, giving short, polite answers any time I asked him something. He seemed reserved and rarely he would initiate a conversation on his own.

Unless the first two days, almost two weeks in Florida passed by uneventfully.

                                   ******
" Thank you for driving me to school!" I said ready to get out of Ellyas' track.