Chapter 10- The Letter

" Yeah, I like someone!" Ellyas answered swallowing hard, looking at the road ahead, fighting to keep a natural expression on his already struggling face.

There was silence hanging in the car for few good seconds.

Saying that she was expecting an affirmative answer from him would have been an understatement. He told her earlier that he did not have a girlfriend. Despite that, Maya did not quite expect Ellyas to tell her that he did like someone.

" Does she know you like her? " Maya found the  strength to ask, taken aback by Ellyas' answer.

She spoke quietly looking at his profile with intense eyes.

Buzz, buzzz . A phone was ringing from between the seats. Ellyas picked his phone and looked at the screen.

" It's Mom"  He said before answering.

A high pitched , incoherent voice was suddenly penetrating the silence hanging in the air.

" Hi Mom."

An incoherent yelling coming from the other side of the line made Ellyas sigh slightly.

"We are in the driveway, Mom. We just got home." He said with low voice.

Another indecipherable shouting was coming through the phone.

" Yes Mom, she is here with me. We went to Senna's after school, to celebrate her first day of college".

More incoherent yelling came out through the phone.

" I'm sorry Mom. I didn't know you planned to take her out. I did text you earlier to let you know we were going to Senna's. " Ellyas explained with low voice. Then he added: "Yes, I picked up  the cake. It' s in the fridge."

Then she hung up on him.

" Mom wanted to take you out tonight too. She was not happy I took you out.. She wanted that time with you" Ellyas explained looking at Maya with a trace of guilt and a sad expression on his face. " I .. I didn't know she was  planning to do that.."

" It's ok, Elly. I can go out with my aunt on another day. I will tell her that I've asked you to go out...I don't want her to get mad at you..", Maya offered with kind voice and concern in her eyes.

" You don't have to do that. I can deal with Mom. Don't worry about me" Ellyas said almost sternly, with a neutral voice tone, looking away.

                                      *****

Maya and Ellyas entered the house.

" Hi Mom!"

" Hi Pat! How are you?" Maya greeted her aunt, taking few steps closer toward her.

Her aunt embraced her in a tight hug.

" I couldn't wait for you to get home, sweet girl! I wanted to take you out but I just found out you have already went. " She said with half smile, then turned her head toward Ellyas with a frown: