Chapter fourteen:

"Okay" she says, moving away from me. "For this to work...you have to trust me, completely and 100% for it?" She asks. I gulp. "O-okay" I stutter. She comes forward and grabs my hand. "Close your eyes...and fall forward" she tells me.

I nod, close my eyes and I feel my self falling forward. I assume that Cam would catch me but instead I'm slowly falling. "Open your eyes" she tells me and I widen them, embracing my surroundings.

No land was seen as the beaming, immense, vivid and rosy sunrise scatters the sky, no grey to be seen. I look down and notice the compact little boat I was sat on, Cameron sat in front of me. "Where are the oars?" I ask, looking down and moving head slightly notice the little but smooth ocean, reflecting off the sky.

"We don't have any silly, the boat rows itself" she assures me, positioning herself towards the front as the boat slowly moves forward. "Cam...is this heaven?" I ask. She stays sitting forward. "No. This is what we call, the in between. It's not heaven or earth, it's just...somewhere in between. Like the name it's given. When someone dies, they're sent here and they can either go on a boat, row forward and go into the light or they can...go back to earth, fix their so called unforgivable problems and then return again" she assures me.

I look around, mesmerised. "Why didn't you go straight in?" I ask. "I needed to come and help you. I don't think I could forgive myself if I let that man do anything to another girl" she gulps. I place my hand on her shoulder. "I'm gonna get you and Chelsea justice Cam, don't you ever feel bad for what that man did to you" I remind her.

She turns to me, a tear rolling down her face, the first time I'd ever seen her cry since the day of her death. "I know. And I can't thank you enough for that" she smiles at me. "Where's Chelsea?" I ask. "Hang on, she's on the land" Cameron whispers to me.

I stare at her confused before I see a bright-green, wet scant of grass cover land as we pull to the end of ocean and she helps me up to the land. "There she is" Cameron points to a young girl, with blonde hair down to her back, staring up to a long flight of stairs, covered with a white protection portal around it. The girl had her hand out to touch it.

"Yo Chelsea" Cameron calls out. She turns around, the same warm smile on her face, a hint of sparkle in her teeth. She turns around fully and jogs towards us, embracing Cameron in a warm hug. "You came back" she smiles into her shoulder. She lets go and turns to face me.

Me and Chelsea had never been close, she was a lot more popular and well behaved, being class president yet having a heart of gold but we always nodded head and smiled at me. "Avery, you're here too" I shake my head. "I'm not...dead" I mumble. She thinks for a second but shakes her head, smiling. "That's fine...but why are you here?" She asks.

I look at Cameron and she nods, signalling for me to tell her. "We need to ask you something" I tell her. "We need to know who...did this to you" we ask. "I don't know. It was a man. He saw me walk home from school. I lived on his street and I was only a mere 4 minutes away from my actual house. He came out to talk to me and I asked to use his bathroom as I couldn't wait. He let me in and..."

Tears fall from my eyes. "Chelsea...I'm sorry that happened to you" I say between the sobs. She chuckles and holds my hand. "I may seem cool about it but once it happened, I was angry, I was never gonna see my family again and I can't imagine how much they're gonna be hurting right now. But I realise that no matter what, I can never go back and I should just move on..." she turns back to the portal. "...and watch over them"

"Are you ready to go through, Chels?" Cameron asks and she nods. I embrace her in a hug before she lets go. "Take care of my family for me Avery" she waves at me before she steps onto the first step where she jumps up and spins into a long beautiful white gown, a crown on her head before she continues walking up.

I turn to Cameron, tears falling ferociously down my face. "We meed to do this" I tell her.