i . ROADKILL

| UNKNOWN
| ♫: E-pro by Beck

CHAPTER ONE | ROADKILL

–❀–

A VIVID EVENING WAS beginning to brew amongst the sky. Cool-toned blues once dominated its presence but a bursting array of orange and pink started to paint over it, swirling into one another like a sorbet melody. The sun itself was descending slowly as dark shadows were now being cast around the tall city buildings of Brooklyn and through the car's back window which reached the surfaces in front of them. His tired body felt stiff and uncomfortable while being cramped up in the front and he continuously attempted to adjust his position in the seat to ease the numbness that was making its way up inside his left leg. He smoothed his hand up and down his thigh mindlessly while he kept his other arm's elbow rested on the open window. The tops of his ring-clad fingers bruised softly side-to-side against his lips as he stared intently outside at the busy life thriving around him.

Time was starting to close in on them and soon enough all the waiting around they had been doing would be worth it, especially once he can finally step out of the car and stretch out his legs like he's been aching to do for the past three hours.

That's how long they had been sitting there for. Three hours.

Three hours they've had to spend, stationed inside of a black SUV on the side of the road just to watch and wait for nightfall to make their presence more discreet when they eventually head up to the man's apartment.

It was quite nauseating to him, the act of having to sit in one place for such a long period of time. The stillness of his own body was something he could never coexist peacefully with which was one of the main reasons why he believes his job is something that suits him. However, jobs like these were something he did often and like he has learned to do many times before he had to adapt. He found a healthy distraction for himself by focusing on the constant movement of others and the industrious sounds of the city were now more of a soothing white noise to him.

Despite its obscureness, to him it was calm and peaceful; an attempt at serenity that allowed him to be with his thoughts and stay focused only on the task at hand. It slowed a lot down for him which was something he needed to better focus in tedious situations

Most of the time he's alone as well and he believes that's when he's at his best, but that wasn't the case for today and his patience was wearing thin because of it.

The obnoxious sound of someone chewing beside him was very much present in his right ear and the minty piece of gum that was set back by his molar was being ground together by his teeth as his jaw tightened. His partner was in his own world while eating whatever food they had stashed and on top of his loud chewing, the man had started to let out breathy hums of satisfaction to himself with each bite he took. Harry breathed through his nose deeply with irritation by the unwanted noise but fueled his tension towards the anxious tick in his leg, slowly bouncing it in its place.