ii . BRIBERY

| ISABELLE
| ♫: Lovefool by The Cardigans

CHAPTER TWO | BRIBERY

–❀–

one week later...

      "WHERE HAVE YOU GONE now?"

The faint sound of our TV plays quietly, its volume muffled in the background while some rerun of an old friends episode appears on the screen. I tried to keep my attention away from it and focus back on what I was currently doing, although the temptation was there. The wooden floors creaked eerily beneath my feet as I made my way back down towards our short hallway like I was being filmed for the next scream movie in hopes of hearing any spouts of movement besides my own as I did. I made sure to put on a pair of my fluffiest socks to decrease the amount of noise in an attempt to steer clear of raising awareness of my presence.

"Where has my little bug gone?" I whisper to myself, keeping a slow pace as I peek into the bathroom.

It was a thursday night and we were indulging in our daily dose of hide and seek; a game I'd like to think I was fairly good at considering my advantages, but at the same time it seemed like my seeking methods were progressively getting worse and at this point, she could run past me and I'd be blind to it. I couldn't lie to myself either and say I wasn't having fun because I was and I never quite understood why parents found it so bothersome to indulge in classic games with their children.

I have been searching for the better part of an hour and of course she's been the one to hide every time. It needed no debate though clearly since she was visibly smaller than I was and my body always tended to peek out of every place I tried to hide in despite my best efforts to escape it. She is also a lot smarter than me when it comes to this so it's no wonder how every spot she chooses leads me on a chase.

The apartment itself didn't really have the square footage to even be considered a complex hiding ground and yet she was still able to skillfully escape my sight. It was separated by many walls which made it feel even smaller than it actually was, but I liked to think it still had a good amount of comfort in the atmosphere. There were only the essentials in it; a kitchen, bathroom and living area and somehow two decent bedrooms. But that was the extent of it. There was no extra room or extra space purley for luxury and I was okay with that, because it's a home for us nonetheless.

My decorating skills are pretty limited, though I still did my best at attempting to make it feel like a home and worked to fill it with all the warm-toned decor I could afford to reflect well with the lighting we got through the two large windows in our living room. I wanted to invest in more plants but knowing myself, they would most likely be dead the minute they set foot in the place so I opted for a few fake ones here and there instead.