LEAD 24: even stranger case of mr hyde

I’m no hairdresser, and I quickly realise that I should’ve taken Blake’s offer for assistance since I’m now rinsing my head under the tap in his bathroom, staining the basin a lovely shade of Caribbean blue.

      I flip my hair back once the water runs clear and tussle it with the darkest coloured towel I could find. Once my hair was semi-dry I used the same towel to wipe down the basin, mirror and some of the tiles that held blue droplets of hair dye. I’m no neat freak either but this is Blake’s apartment so I can’t be a total slob and make it look like I shot Sully in the sink.

      When I finally get out of the bathroom in my Rolling Stones shirt, jammie shorts and a black towel wrapped around my head, Blake raises an eyebrow at me. He sits on the kitchen side of the breakfast bar clicking on a laptop with a bunch of paper around him.

      “It sounded like you were knocking out the wall to my bathroom,” Blake comments.

      “Quick tip, don’t dye your hair in the sink,” I pull my black pants, white button-up and suit jacket from their place on the arm of the couch with one hand and use the other to keep my towel turban stable.

      “The sink?” Blake grimaces.

      “Don’t worry I’ve cleaned up all the dye and I gave everything a wipe-down,” I say, trying to slide my arms out of my Rolling Stones shirt and slide the button-up over it.

      “Cheers,” Blake gives a snort, “I’m going to grab a shower then.”

      He leaves without another word and I sigh. Living with Blake is anything but easy; he’s your typical teenage boy and certainly has the mentality of one. Just because I’m crashing on his couch means that he has to ask my permission to go and hook up with a girl―it’s starting to feel like I’m babysitting him and he has to walk on egg shells around me.    

      I get dressed quickly but keep the towel on my head. Out of sheer curiosity, I walk over to the breakfast bar and peer at Blake’s laptop. It’s on standby so I run my index finger over the thumb-pad and the screen bursts to life with fifteen internet tabs open.

      Curiosity soon turns to dread when I read the headings of the websites. Some are from Satanism pages, explaining the pentagram and ‘devils’, whilst some of the others contain werewolves, vampires, zombies and other generic folk creatures. Four of the twelve tabs are newspaper tabloid articles regarding Derek’s murder and the patrol cold cases.

NYPD CLEAN UP? ARE THE CASES ‘COLD’ AFTER ALL?
GETTING WARMER, LEAD DETECTIVE BURNS PRESS: WATCH LINK BELOW! 
TOO YOUNG OR TOO DUMB – NYPD CLAIMS ATTACKS TO BE WORKS OF A LONE SERIAL KILLER, SOME SAY THE LEAD DETECTIVE SHOULD GO BACK TO STUDY FOR FINALS.
ROMANCING THE STONE: LEAD DETECTIVE SPOTTED WITH ‘PARTNER’ AT GOZMO’S [not to mention wearing a tacky Rolling Stones shirt] INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING – GET OFF MY ‘CASE’ PERHAPS?

      I unlock my jaw and clench my fists, I thought the NYPD censored what could be posted by the media, but I suppose they couldn’t subpoena the internet servers to take down all blogs, YouTube videos or other means for word to get out that this case is anything but professional and ‘by the book’.

      I turn my attention towards the written work that Blake’s done. There’s a list of folk tale creatures, half of which are on the list supplied by Henry Nikita. I can give credit to Blake that he’s certainly thorough with his searches and has even linked some of the victims together along with missing person’s reports during this past year.

      What concerns me most is the fact that Blake has thrown the Diablos into this and even worked out that by taking its Spanish and Italian meaning of ‘two faced’ and ‘devil’ literally, has lead him to believe that Diablos have two personalities. All Blake would have to do next is read about some syndrome some serial killers develop and draw the conclusion at the JH Complex.