LEAD 38: bite the bullet

I'm squashed into the crease on the couch, my knees against my chest. I glare at the flat screen as DA Porter gives a statement to the eager press, still buzzing about Helena Quinn getting off with no sentencing for her 'crimes'. Word's already leaked out that I 'bribed' the jury to reach an undecided verdict, or that it was my partnership with Sam that made me testify out of sympathy.

      It's safe to say that I've already been slammed by the media in the paper with headlines, labelled as a coward, bitch, traitor, Bureau Hater (for those that supported Helena's suspected sentences) and many, many more. I suppose I should be angry at myself to, I lied under oath; I should be the one facing time.

      My eyes flick down to my NYPD shield in the palm of my left hand. My thumb brushes over the five number ID sequence in the gilded rectangle, I sigh. I should be like Mercer, keen to earn my own stripes instead of having Daddy buy them for me with deals and promises. I haven't worked hard enough to call myself Detective. My fingers clench around the badge.

      Cut with the negativity shit, I chide myself. Chloe is over the moon you saved Helena, build a bridge and get over it.

      I puff out my cheeks in defeat and turn my attention back to the TV screen to see that the speakers have changed. DA Porter is no longer giving her piece of mind on the trial; instead, Oliver Quade narrows his eyes into the camera.

      Oliver Quade greets the viewers of the 9:00AM news report with Quade-Grey storm cloud eyes which churn in anger as he blabbers on that the FBI shouldn't come under suspicion of conspiracy and he maintains that future precautions will be set in place so that a situation like this will never be repeated. There are deep grooves underneath his eyes, giving Quade a haggard look instead of the cocky Godfather of Extermination.

      Quade's face is rather puffy and his cheeks are dusted with red, an allergic reaction to the bullshit flying around perhaps? I lean forward on the couch, suddenly interested in what the media is sprouting about the case―an entire fortnight after the actual trial. I thought the press would lose interest by now, but DA Porter and Oliver Quade have been making meagre appearances and the bits of information they do tell, spread like wildfire across New York, ready to ignite.

      In a crisp grey suit, charcoal tie and starched white shirt, Quade is rather stoic―almost as if his mind's elsewhere and he was ordered to appear on camera. Quade doesn't sneer, he's not cocky and his face remains stern. His words come out angrily, with a vehemence that could certainly make most NYPD badge holders cringe.

      "I speak directly on behalf of the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigations. The circumstances of Agent Quinn's situation have taught the Bureau a clear lesson: if interference and intrusion are allowed when aiming to work in cohesion with the local PD, ultimately leads to conflict. The Bureau opposes all negativity between all branches of justice and the Director wishes that those NYPD personnel directly involved with this case, stay united under our nations flag and that their connections to the Bureau remain vital."

      Quade rubs the side of his neck absent mindedly and clears his throat as if he lost his train of thought.

      "Our unswerving objective, however, is to liquidate all conjoin cases with the local PDs to avoid any more conflict until we reach an elucidation. Those of justice should be trusted by the people, the scepticism of conspiracy and bribery should not be synonymous with the government and law. No further comment," and just like that, Quade steps away from the hoard of microphones.

      I blink in confusion as CBS return to their lead reporter, trying to regain her footing in the surging crowd of eager media wanting to follow Quade to his unmarked black SUV. I stare back down at my badge and shake my head, what's the Bureau trying to get at? Do they think that shutting up shop will reinstate the lack of trust the people have with their security?