10. a gift for a girl

December 22nd

  Winnie woke up late on Wednesday morning to Poppy shaking her. She groaned, opening her eyes slowly as she still felt exhausted. She finished her last test at 6:30 the night previous, bloody charms. The students enjoyed their farewell dinner and Winnie and her friends returned to the Hufflepuff common room for a party. Winnie may or may not have had a bit too much butterbeer and found herself passed out on the common room couch.

  Johnathan had carried her up to bed and helped her into other clothes and she was out again. It was now 11:30, and the train was leaving at 1:30. Luckily all Winnie had left to pack were a few toiletries.

  "What?" Winnie groaned, pushing herself onto her elbows and rubbing her eyes with one palm.

  "Malfoy's owl brought this for you," Poppy says, holding out a small piece of folded parchment. Winnie's name was printed on it in Draco's neat cursive. She grabbed it from Poppy and began to unfold it.

  "Thank you," she yawned, pushing herself all the way up into a sitting position. She looked at the note and read it through her tired vision, it taking a bit longer than normal.

Winnie,
  I hope you're awake, although I don't see why you wouldn't be as it's almost afternoon. I heard about the party last night, you need to take care of yourself when drinking from now on please.
  Anyways I need you to meet me in the Great Hall in front of the tree at fifteen past twelve. I have something for you. I'll be waiting.
-Draco

  "What does it say?" Poppy asks, grabbing the note from Winnie's hands and skimming it for herself. Winnie doesn't even care enough to take it back, all she is focusing on now is going to shower.

  "Oh my gosh, Winnie, that's kinda cute!" Poppy says, rereading the line where he told her to be careful. Winnie smiles, picking up the outfit she had left out for today. She only packed a small bag with an extensive charm. It held only some of her favorite clothes she had with her and her everyday necessities because she'd have the rest at home.

  Winnie walked into the bathroom, quickly washing her brunette locks and spreading lemongrass soap all over her body. She goes about her normal daily routine with a nervous pit in her stomach.

  She didn't expect Draco to get her something. She of course had made him a gift but it seemed out of character for him to give one back. But then again, how many things had Draco done recently that she would've previously considered out of character?

  She cast a quick drying charm on her hair and quickly put on the clothes she had set out. She put on a pair of light wash jeans with rips in the knees and a white tank top. She pulled a grey cardigan over top and examined herself in the mirror. Winnie applied another layer of lip gloss before exiting the bathroom.
  Johnathan and Clara were now in their room as well. Clara's eyes were downcast and she hugged herself tightly. She very obviously was uncomfortable.

  "Hey guys," Winnie says as she walks over to her dresser.

  Johnathan comes up behind her and pokes her in the side, "Hey there, Mrs. Malfoy," he jokes. Winnie rolls her eyes but blushes and shoves him away. Finally she pulls the small brown package from the drawer, Draco's gift.

  Poppy clears her throat, "Clara actually came to talk to you," she says. Winnie freezes a little before turning and continuing to her bed. She sets the package down before turning and facing Clara. She looked like a wreck. Winnie realized how much she really missed her best friend over the past few days.

  "So, you really like Malfoy?" Clara asks, looking up into Winnie's eyes. Winnie nods in response and pulls her lower lip between her teeth. Clara sighs and looks to the floor.