03. a special cup of hot chocolate

December 2nd

  "What'd you do with the glitter?" Poppy Crue asks with furrowed eyebrows. Amongst their shared mess of decorations and craft supplies, the glitter was no where to be seen. Winnie looks up, still humming along go Ariana Grande's Christmas album, and begins scanning their pile of the things. Her eyes land on the small container of red glitter and her eyes light up.

  "Here, Pop." Winnie says, handing her the square container. Poppy nods as a thank you and continues working on her paper candy cane. It was a Friday night and neither girl felt like going out. Midterms were coming up in three weeks and professors were deciding to now push out tons of homework and reviews. Winnie was overwhelmed and exhausted so she decided to just take this night to relax in the comfort of her dorm room and push off study and homework until Sunday. Tomorrow the two girls were going to meet up with their friends for some other Christmas activities and work on planning their winter break. The four had been best friends since first year and every break met up with each other's families for a day and went out to dinner or something.

  "So, tell me. How's your little crush on Potter?" Winnie asks with a joking smirk. Poppy looks up at her for a moment and narrows her eyes. Poppy, along with what was probably many other girls, had a long time crush on the boy who lived. It was kind of cute, seeing as though Harry was actually very nice to Poppy and went out of his way to talk to her.

  Poppy places the glitter down and crosses her hands in her lap. Winnie smiles at her expectantly. "Winnie you act like I don't tell you everything the second it happens," Poppy points out, "but I am hoping he'll ask me to the Christmas Ball. He looked right at me when Dumbledore announced it this morning." Poppy smiled down at her lap as Winnie let out a squeal of excitement. "How about you, Winnie? Any idea of who you might want to go to the ball with?"

  Winnie looks down shyly and bites her lip, "I heard Hannah and Susan talking in the common room yesterday. They said Justin might ask me..." Winnie trails off. Poppy's eyes are wide as she smiles at her best friend.

  "Winnie that would be adorable! Oh my gosh I can see it now!" Poppy says as Winnie blushes wildly. Winnie shakes her head, she didn't want to get her hopes up. She could see herself going with Justin, but he wasn't the most committed person when it came to relationships, but then again it was just a dance.

  "Enough about me, let's finish up and put this away." Winnie says and stands from her spot on the floor. She picks up the paper snowflakes the two made and began taping them around the room while humming along to 'Santa Baby.' Their room was now in fact very festive. They'd hung garland around, put twinkle lights around the ceiling, made little decorations to stick on the walls, and even put up their mini Christmas tree. They'd changed their bed spreads to red flannel sets and multiple Christmas blankets were littered across the room. It helped the two feel at home since both their families loved Christmas.

  Winnie was the only daughter of Luanne and Greggory Monet. They weren't a special family, they were muggles at that. Luanne was a primary school teacher and Greggory worked at a publishing company. They lived in a family home in Brighton and Winnie loved it there. She missed her parents immensely, but she loved Hogwarts too. She did enjoy spending her summers on the beach with her family and her two best friends from back home, but they still stood close second to the walls of Hogwarts.

  Poppy Crue had a much different life than Winnie. She was one of four children, the only witch in a muggle family. Her family lived in London in a bigger home. Her house was always busy, unlike Winnie's.

  Poppy began to yawn, it was only 9:30 but she'd always been one to be out by 10 no matter what day it was. The two girls cleaned up after themselves and Poppy plopped on her bed, pulling a soft blanket up to her chin. Winnie rolled her eyes before speaking, "I was going to ask you to come to the kitchens with me for hot chocolate, but you're not going to make it are you?"