Epilogue

"And... more pointe shoes," you said, opening the box in your lap. "Wow. Thanks, mom and dad."

Your dad laughed, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "You're welcome, kiddo." He nodded from the couch. "I know Russet gives you some already, but you can never have too many."

"Out of curiosity." You glanced at the tree. "Are there any boxes from you which aren't related to dance?"

"Not related to dance..." Your mom pretended to think. "I don't understand."

"Mom!"

She laughed. "I'm kidding! Yes, there are other presents. You just happened to pick all the pointe shoe boxes first."

Shaking your head, you placed the box aside. You smiled though, warmth in your chest at being home for the holidays. Classes at Russet had ended a week prior and it had been nice for a few days to simply relax. Already though, you found yourself itching to return to the city. It was strange to wake every morning and not head to ballet. It was even stranger to take classes at your old studio, trying to stay in shape before second semester began.

Playing with the string of your sweatpants, you couldn't help glancing at your phone on the couch. It had been several days since you'd
seen Jimin in person. Oddly enough, the separation had been harder than you'd thought it would be.

Immediately after ending things with Finn, you and Jimin had tried to keep your distance. The pain of your separation had been too fresh to even consider dating someone else but, as time had gone on, you and Jimin had started becoming friends again.

It was hard not to be, with Jimin continuing as your dance partner and classmate. At the end of the semester, you'd had the opportunity to switch partners, but you and Jimin had chosen the status quo. It just made sense this way; you couldn't think of anyone else you'd trust as much as him.

At first, things between you were strictly professional. You saw him only within the confines of the dance studio but eventually, his presence bled into your normal life. At first, the outings were small. Jimin went to a pregame you also attended. He saw you once at the coffee shop and, instead of running away, he stopped to chat. One time, he walked you back to your dorm.

When the month became December, you found your outlook improving. Most of November had been spent wallowing in your dorm, but the holiday season brought with it endless activities. The very first weekend of the month, a bunch of your Russet friends decided to go ice skating and you'd ended up tagging along.

The biggest problem had been you'd never ice skated before. Noelle had been patient, skating backwards in front of you and dragging you around the rink. Jimin had done the same thing for Hoseok, who was in a similar predicament to yours, and at some point, they swapped partners and left you skating with Jimin.

When he'd taken over for Noelle, your stomach had swooped. Hands touching, he'd led you gently around the edge and the world had seemed to still. It had been the first time you'd felt anything stir outside of your break-up. Whatever hurt and distance had sprung between you, it seemed something had survived between you and Jimin.

Nose red, Jimin had smiled as he skated backwards. "It's easy," he'd told you. "You just swivel, Y/N. In and out, in and out. Got it?"

"Um, no!" you'd yelped, nearly crashing to the ice when Jimin let go of your hands.

He'd laughed, catching you easily and skating like that for a while. Eventually, Jimin had helped you off the rink and gotten hot chocolate, which you insisted on buying. Payback, you said, for the impromptu skating lessons.

That day had been a turning point for you both. Throughout the month prior, you'd texted sporadically but after, you seemed to talk every day.

Jimin even offered to drive you home from Russet, given the fact that your hometowns were so close together. After much hemming and hawing, you'd eventually taken him up on the offer. The savings it gave your bleeding bank account were well-worth the potential discomfort.