Chapter 11

When you woke Saturday morning, you felt clearer about things than you'd felt all week. Your nap had lasted longer than intended, so when you opened your eyes around ten and groggily searched for your phone, you realized you'd missed your opportunity to talk to Finn.

He'd called around seven, but you seemed to have slept through this, and he'd left you no voicemail. Shooting him a text, you tried to stay up but promptly fell back asleep. When you woke to the sun streaming through your windows the next morning, you realized this was it. You'd reached a breaking point.

Pushing aside your covers, you climbed down from bed and began to get ready. Staring at yourself in the mirror, you fixed yourself up as best as you could before leaving the dorm. It was still early in the morning, the air containing a chill while you walked to the coffee shop. Finn still hadn't responded to your text from the night prior, so you decided to give him an hour before you went over.

It had been three days since your fight in the library. If he didn't know what to say to you by now, he could figure out what to say when he saw you in person. Steeling yourself for this possibility, you entered the shop and walked to the counter.

Staring at the holiday specials on the board, you felt nothing but numbness. As you ordered a peppermint latte and left a tip, you made a mental note to pick up Noelle one on your way home. She'd been the best friend to you this week – all weeks, really. Despite not knowing what was wrong, she'd done her best to cheer you up and be there for you.

Sipping your coffee at a table in the corner, you stared blankly at your phone. It was strange, being in a place you'd once been happy with Finn and no longer feeling attached to the memory. It was strange, contemplating the idea of breaking up with a cool sort of detachment, as though it were happening to someone other than you.

You wondered if all relationships reached a point where you simply felt tired. Maybe all humans had an emotional cap; a quota wherein all emotions following simply went unfelt. If this was this case, you imagined you might have hit yours.

Once your drink was finished, you stood and walked to place your mug in the bin. It had officially been an hour, which meant it was time to confront Finn at Redfield. Hiking your bag higher, you were about to leave the shop when you heard a familiar voice coming from behind a potted plant.

"Mom, are you serious?" Sabrina said, sounding upset. "This is a good thing."

Uncertain, you paused. When you glanced around the fern, you saw Sabrina seated with someone unfamiliar at a table. The other person was a woman – older than you and, judging by the conversation, she seemed to be Sabrina's mother.

Whoever she was, the woman sighed with the tone of someone who'd had this conversation before. "Tell me what's good about it, Sabrina," she demanded. "Vlad Copson is recommending you take additional classes outside of Russet."

"I know." Sabrina faltered. "It's just because I asked about the contemporary dance program, though. I don't... I don't have a lot of experience in that area."

"And whose fault is that?"

"I'm not saying it's anyone's fault, I'm just saying I want to–"

"We've been over this before, Sabrina. You need to work harder."

Sabrina stopped talking. "I know."

"Do you, though?" Pulling out her phone, her mother scrolled through her email. "You've had every advantage money could buy. Private lessons, an elite dance academy. How could you possibly be falling behind? It's barely even the first semester."

"Everyone's talented at Russet, mom."

Realizing you were staring, you side-stepped until you were hidden partway behind the fern. Mind racing, you wondered if this was what Sabrina had wanted to discuss. You'd had no idea she was interested in contemporary dance. She hadn't seemed comfortable in the master class last week – but then again, maybe that's what sparked this conversation.