Chapter 1

Thumbs hooked beneath the straps of your backpack, you paused on the sidewalk to tilt your head up. A sign reading Russet Ballet Academy hung from the building above, detailing the location of the next four years of your life.

It was the dream of many to attend and yet, few ever came to walk these halls as its students. Only eighty dancers were accepted to their dance program each year; the fiercest competition from all over the globe.

Somehow, you were amongst them.

The day you'd received your letter still felt like a dream but here you were, standing under the sign and knowing you'd made it. You stared at it a second longer before your mom came up and squeezed your shoulder.

"Wow," she said, also reading the sign. "Seems like just yesterday you fell on your ass at Hall of Fame, huh?"

"Mom!" You laughed, the moment effectively broken. "Why would you bring that up now? I was twelve!"

She grinned and glanced in your direction. "You just had such enthusiasm! Picked yourself right back up and kept going. I should've known then you would make it."

Despite yourself, you felt your insides soften again. It sounded like something your old dance teacher, Miss Katie, would've said. She'd always had faith in your perseverance and ability. You hadn't started competing until the age of eleven; in dancer years, this was considered late and yet, you grew quickly through the ranks. By the time you reached high school, you were known on the competitive dance circuit as one of the elites.

Your parents joked it was your contrariness that kept you going. Growing up, you'd never much liked hearing the word no – something your parents applauded and bemoaned in equal measure.

Hiking your bag higher, you turned to face your parents. "So, are you going to take a photo, or what?"

"A photo! Great idea." Scanning the sidewalk, your mom found your dad. "Honey, come here! Honey! Hone – honestly," she huffed, waving both arms overhead.

Finally, your dad noticed and hurried in your direction. "Have you seen the gargoyles?" he asked, clearly impressed. "The architecture of this building is incredible, Y/N. When you get settled, maybe you can find out for me who the builder –"

"Take the picture, darling," said your mom, handing over the camera.

She moved beside you, hugging you tight enough to make breathing difficult. You were happy though, smiling brightly as your dad took the shot.

"Okay, okay," you said, laughing after the tenth frame. "I think you guys have embarrassed me enough for one day, don't you?"

"Debatable," said your dad, grabbing your luggage to haul up the steps. "We've got to make up for all the days we won't see you. You're not coming home until the holidays, right? That's a long time!"

At this, a small pang went through you and you nodded. He was right – your parents lived a plane flight away and you'd never been the wealthiest of households. You wouldn't be able to return until three months from now, which was the longest you'd ever spent away from your family.

It was such a strange thought, you didn't know what to do with it. As crazy as it was, since they often drove you crazy, you hadn't ever lived far away from home and the thought made you sad. It was just another way your life was being upended.

As you entered the arched door of Grace Hall, your soon-to-be home, your head spun from the newness. In your small suburban town, you'd had a reputation. The best dancer, the straight-A student, the person with her act together – never mind what you did behind the scenes to make it appear that way. The point was, you were known.