Don't Hurt Me - Iruka / Beginning To Trust - Haru

Iruka knocked softly.

"Hey, can I come in?"

"Iruka Sensei!"

Naruto was sitting next to the woman in a chair. He was surprised when the woman nodded silently at his request. He stepped in and sat next to Naruto. He really wanted to cry, but he held it in.

"Hey, Sensei, I was just telling her all about the village and the Academy."

He gave Naruto a small smile. He continued.

"She tried to leave through the window. Sai and I found her bleeding outside and brought her back.  She was really booking it to get out of here before she fell and hit her head."

Iruka turned to her and spoke; his words were quiet.

"I'm sorry."

His eyes felt heavy, but he was holding back the emotion as best he could. However, her eyes began to change a little as she watched him. She shook her head no... and then, she gave him a tiny smile.

Was he that pathetic looking right now?

The woman who had been beaten and raped was pitying him? But, there was a kindness in her eyes. And a deep sadness.

Naruto looked up at the clock, his face turned to one of surprise.

"Oh, I've got to get home to Hinata and Boruto. It was nice meeting you, Miss. Bye Sensei."

The woman nodded at Naruto before he stood up and left the room. Iruka looked back at the woman.

"I can leave too, if you'd like."

She blinked at him and shook her head no. He gave her a small, sad smile.  He was surprised when she spoke.

"Why did you save me?"

Her words were small and weak.

"I didn't think you wanted to die in the forest. Did... did you not want to be saved?""

She gave a little shrug.

"Death is freedom from this life."

Iruka looked down at the ground.

"This isn't the first time this has happened to you, is it?"

Looking back up, he saw her shake her head no.

"I'm so sorry. I wish I had been there earlier; maybe I could've stopped it."

He hung his head, unable to stop the tears from flowing. He didn't want her to see, but he was sure that she knew.

"Don't cry."

Her words were soft and caring. He looked back up again.

"I'm sorry that another person was so vile to you."

"Why are you sorry?  You don't know me. Why are you crying?"

"I don't have to know you to hurt for you.  You deserved none of the abuse you've taken."

She continued to watch him.

"Haru."

"Huh?"

"My name is Haru."

He couldn't help but give her a small smile, despite the tears.

"That's a beautiful name. I'm Iruka."

She gave him a kind look.

"I know."

He moved his chair a little closer to her bed.

"How are you feeling?  Is your head okay?"

"Wrecked."

He wanted to reach out and touch her hand, but decided against it. He didn't know her, and he certainly didn't want to scare her.

"Anything I can do to help?"

"Just don't hurt me."

This broke his heart.

"I will never hurt you. Ever."

She just gazed at him.

"Will you stay with me for a bit?"

"I'll stay as long as you like."

He watched Haru settle down into her blankets as best she could with her broken body. As she began to nod off, she said one more thing to him.

"Don't hurt me."

"I'll stay here and watch over you. You're safe, Haru."

***

Haru awoke to someone checking her blood pressure.

"I'm sorry, you can go back to sleep after this."

The pretty blonde healer was checking her vitals. Behind her, Iruka was sitting in the chair, asleep. He looked as if he hadn't moved. She didn't even realize that she had fallen asleep.  But, she had also found out that he had been here for days, so he was probably exhausted.

"How are you feeling today?"

Haru turned her attention back to the blonde healer; she had a kind, caring look on her face.

"I tried to leave."

She sat down in the empty chair next to Iruka.

"Why?"

"If he finds out I'm alive, he'll find me and take me back."

The healer looked at her, concerned.

"Who will find you?"

She sighed. It was hard to trust someone who's name she didn't even know. She began to cry, closing her eyes. And then, she felt the healer hug her.

"Please, let us help you."

"W-Why? You d-don't know me!"

"We want to know you.  I'm Ino.  Ino Yamanaka."

She definitely didn't hug her back, but she didn't try to pull away, either. Ino's touch felt nice, even though it had no reason to. She took a deep breath, knowing she couldn't face her challenges alone. She would have to trust these people, at least to some extent, if she wanted to escape her past life.

"Haru."

It was barely a whisper from her lips, but she heard it.

"Haru?"

"My name is Haru."

Ino backed up, gazing at her.

"I told Mizuka I wouldn't leave again. I have nowhere to go."

The healer gave her a small smile.

"We hope you'll stay with us. You're safe here, Haru."

"I hope so-"

There was another knock at the door. Mizuka entered. The pink haired healer looked at them, smiling and averting her eyes quickly.

"I'll only be a moment-"

"Mizuka?"

She turned, looking surprised.

"Yes?"

"My... My name is Haru."

Haru watched as a huge smile spread across Mizuka's face.

"Like Sunshine. That's a beautiful name."

Mizuka checked a few things before bowing to her.

"Please, let us know if there's anything you need, Haru.  We're glad to have you."

She nodded and Mizuka left, leaving her with Ino and the sleeping Iruka.  Haru knew better than to get her hopes up about a fresh start in this village, but maybe she could at least allow these people to be kind to her for a little longer.