Apologies (Starrest)

The last thing Ringo had ever expected was an apology from Pete.

Last night had been rough, those lads really went crazy upon realizing their favorite drummer had been replaced.

He was used to insults and rejection, the staple of his life basically, but they got physical and Hell broke loose, especially when George and John got involved...

Ringo could only feel thankful that they defended him, even though he had grown to loathe violence. He probably wouldn't have fought for himself, but Hell, even Paul had kicked a few of those bastards for him.

It was probably the first time someone fought for him. And it certainly made him feel a whole lot better, like he truly belonged with them despite being the newbie here.

This morning they were all sore and bruised, Brian had come by early to check up on them and pull them by the ears a little, and they'd decided to stay in and rest, try and recover before their next gig.

So, all four of them were just... Sprawled across the living room, holding ice packs to their faces and other damaged areas, half asleep.

It was nice. Homely, even. Like four brothers... Ringo didn't had any. He figured it would've felt somewhat like this, though. Warm and safe, even if the whole world was against him.

And then someone knocked.

Ringo just so happened to be the only one conscious enough to notice, so he begrudgingly pulled himself up and went to open the door.

Whatever he might've expected to be at the other side, it wasn't this.

Pete fucking Best seemed a bit embarassed, a bit scared, a stark difference to the proud and cocky lad Ringo remembered from the Hamburg days.

'Uh... Hey'

'God, you look terrible'

'...thanks?'

'Sorry! I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that, I'm so sorry, it's just...'

'Yeah, yeah. Had a bit of a tussle last night...'

'I-I heard... Tha's why I'm here actually...'

'Huh?'

'I... I'm very sorry for what those blokes did to you all, I swear I had nothing to do with that, I wasn't even there last night, but I head some folks talkin' this morning and... I just- I just wanted to check up on ye all, I guess'

'Oh... Well, we're fine. We're alive. Bit beaten though. Could be worse'

'Looks bad though... Sorry'

' 'S fine. You should've seen the other guys'

They shared an awkward laugh. It was a little uncomfortable, a little bit confusing, but still... Nice.

'Ye shouldn't apologize, though'

'Huh?'

'Well, 's not like ye sent those blokes after us... Right?'

'No! God, no! 'course I didn't!'

Pete seemed more scared and embarassed than indignated. He was even all flustered, Ringo couldn't help but find him cute.

'I know', he laughed. 'Just jokin'. But for real... 's not yer fault. Got nothin' to apologize for'

'I-I know... Just wanted to know ye lot were okay'

'We are. Bit roughed up, but we should be sharp by tonight'

'Yeah... Got 'nother show, right?'

'Right'