BONUS #2: THE PASSENGER

based on chapter 10: the passenger ; 8.1k+ words 

The wind whipped your hair back and around your face

The wind whipped your hair back and around your face. You laughed softly against the cool metal of Din's shoulder plate as he leaned forward and sped up the speeder. You rolled over mounds of sand with ease. The baby giggled from the bag on the side of the speeder. And you had just accepted that you enjoyed the thrill of this. All worries of danger fell away as your stomach fluttered with excitement.

"At this rate, we won't have to stop and camp for the night at all," you spoke loudly. "We've got to be making great timing."

"We are," he said, and he added, "You're welcome."

You laughed and shook your head. He leaned forward again and you felt like you were flying. "Din---"

A flash of movement in front of the speeder barely registered in your brain before Din hit the rope and you flew upward. Your arms left Din quickly as you flipped in the air, landing hard in the sand, shoulder first. You let out a gasp of pain as the speeder exploded somewhere behind you and you opened your eyes that stung with sand to see Din barely catching himself on his feet, looking around in a panic.

"Get the Child!" one of the attackers yelled, and they fired their blaster at Din. It bounced off of his shoulder and helmet and you sat up quickly. Your head was spinning and your shoulder hurt incredibly bad, but the Child was in danger and you counted four of them. Four against two.

"No!" Din grunted, taking the punches from two of the attackers. He had one on the ground already. You hurried to his aid, taking out your blaster and shooting one in the leg. In his moment of weakness, Din threw him to the ground, head first. "The Child."

Right, you thought. The Child. You spun around and while Din finished off the other attackers, you started towards the baby, who was standing up and reaching for you. You held your hands out for him and he made a sound, and then one of the other creatures that hadn't been fighting stepped out of the shadows and snatched him. Your whole body stiffened as it filled with anger you never knew you were capable of. It held a dagger to the base of the Child's neck and stood there, staring right at you, waiting. You had your hand on your blaster again.

Then Din was there, his arm shooting out in front of you to stop you from moving. If you moved too fast, it would kill the Child in a panic and run off. You had to approach this carefully.

"Wait!" Din said. "Don't hurt the Child. If you put one mark on him, there's no place you can hide from me. We can strike a bargain. There's a lot of value in this wreckage. Take your pick, but leave the Child."

He pointed his dagger at you and Din and shouted something you couldn't understand. You looked at Din who raised his hands very slowly.

"Okay," he said, and you looked at Din curiously. He removed his jetpack and took two steps forward. He placed it carefully on the sand and then stood back up, hands raised. "Here, it's yours. Take it. It's okay."