CHAPTER NINE: THE PLAN

A gentle shake of your shoulder broke you out of your dreams

A gentle shake of your shoulder broke you out of your dreams. You hummed, wanting to ignore the touch, but when you finally thought about how you could feel someone next to you, your eyes opened fast. Your heartbeat quickened and you sat up, hair falling across your face as panicked breaths escaped you.

"You're alright," he said. He was on his side facing you. "It's just me."

"Oh." His hand moved to brush the hair out of your face. Embarrassment replaced your fear as you remembered falling asleep next to him last night. "I'm sorry."

"You're alright," he repeated.

You stretched your body out and glanced around. "What time is it?"

"Nearly 06:00," he said. "I thought you might want to go across the hall and change before one of the servants sees that you were in here all night."

"Oh, right," you said, laughing quietly. You sat up and smoothed out the skirt of your dress before you slid off the bed and stood up. You were slightly wobbly, still not fully awake. Din sat up on the edge of the bed, his hand on your back to steady you as you slipped your shoes on your feet. "Thank you."

"I'll walk you to your room," he said, even though you both knew that it wasn't much of a walk at all. It made you feel better to know that he was walking you there.

You left the room as silently as you possibly could, glancing both ways down the hallways for stormtroopers or servants, anyone who could possibly catch you out of your room before it was time for breakfast.

As you slipped inside of your room, Din went back to his to eat breakfast. You knew that after he was done he would take his position in front of your door. You ran yourself a bath and took your time for the next hour, relaxing and combing out your hair with your fingers as you bathed with sweet smelling soaps mixed in the warm water.

When you were done, you stood in front of your wardrobe and debated on what to wear. It was such a silly thing to think about, but you found yourself picturing how you would look in every single one of your dresses when you stood next to Din. You wanted to look like you belonged with him.

"Princess?" Din knocked on your door gently. "It's time for breakfast."

"I'm coming," you said softly. You decided on a crimson gown with swooped sleeves. After you pulled it on and tied the front of the corset, you slipped on the first pair of shoes you could find. They'd be impossible to see under your layers of skirts, anyway. You left your hair down and only paused in front of your mirror to fluff your damp hair a bit before you slipped out the door and into the hallway.

Din was standing there, one hand on his hip again, the other leaning against the wall. He stood up straight when he saw you. You smiled at him and his hand found yours and he gently brought you close to him.

"What's your favorite color today?" you murmured.

"Whatever this color is," he said, his other hand pinching at your sleeve. "It looks beautiful on you."