BONUS #5: THE JEDI

based on chapter 13: the jedi; 6.3k+ words

edit by sondercoyfish

You stepped into the cockpit, your hand trailing along the wall for support

You stepped into the cockpit, your hand trailing along the wall for support. The ride through the stars had still been rocky despite the repairs on the ship. Upon entering the cockpit, you saw the Child sat on Din's lap.

"Corvus," Din said. "This is the place. I've detected a beacon." He glanced at you as you smiled. "I started the landing cycle. You two better get back in your seats."

"You heard him, little one," you said, sitting in your seat. You reached over and patted the spot beside you. "Come sit."

The baby looked at you, then back in front of him. He cooed.

"Hey," Din snapped, getting his attention. "What did we tell you?"

The baby reluctantly climbed off of Din's lap. He waddled over to the seat and climbed up. You watched him closely to make sure he strapped himself in. When he did, you smiled, and he sighed.

"What's Corvus like?" you asked Din.

"Don't know," he said. "Never been there."

"Hopefully it isn't covered in snow," you said. "Or water."

"You didn't enjoy your last two visits?" he chuckled.

"No," you said, smiling. "I thought I would, but almost freezing to death and almost drowning really makes you realize how crappy things are out here. I'd much rather float around the galaxy in the Razor Crest."

Neither you nor Din were aware of the Child's closed eyes or raised hand. The ball flying into the Child's palm went unnoticed as the ship neared the surface of Corvus.

Corvus looked grim. It was foggy and evergreen. There was a certain charm of beauty to it. Evergreen had always been one of your favorite colors. But there was hardly any life around you. The city you soared over looked more like a prison camp. Din found a clear spot in the trees to land. You could see the ground through the naked branches. Large, noisy creatures gnawed on the trunks of trees. Screeches sounded in the distance. The air was eerie as you disembarked, the Child balanced on your hip, your left arm circled around him. Din was already looking around, making sure it was safe. No warning came from him, so you placed the baby down, giving him freedom to walk behind you.

He whined and dropped to the surface of the ramp, moving a silver ball around in his hands. You and Din turned your heads to look at him.

"What's wrong with you, little one?" you asked.

Din shook his head and reached for the ball that was in his hands. "What did I say about that? This needs to stay in the ship."

"What is it?" you asked.