Chapter 3

Chapter 3, enjoy!!

Tony yawned as he slowly got out of bed and arranged his pillow. That was the best night's sleep he'd had in years. As he looked in the full-length mirror hanging up next to his door, he smiled at himself, remembering what his plans were for the morning.

Tony usually hated getting ready in the morning, he just wanted to start working, and since he owned Stark Industries nobody cared what he looked like, and he usually worked at Stark Tower instead of the Stark Industries building anyway, so he'd be on his own. However, this morning was different - he had to look perfect for Steve. He first had a shower, secretly using Pepper's pineapple conditioner (he'd used it a few times before but she found out somehow and berated him for it). He then brushed his hair & teeth, before getting dressed in a green suit, because Steve told him over text that he looked very handsome in green because it brought out his beautiful brown eyes. He smiled at himself before grabbing his wallet and phone and headed off, giving Pepper a quick goodbye and walked to the coffee shop.

As he walked through the door, his eyes immediately drew to Steve. He looked more attractive than ever, if that was even possible. He wore a royal blue knitted jumper, showing off his muscular arms, and some jeans and brown Chelsea boots. His hair was spiked up, making him look a bit younger, and as he glanced at Tony, he grinned, showing off his perfect white teeth.

Steve walked over to his date, hugging him and walking with him to his table, pulling out a chair for Tony politely. "Hi," he said, seeming a little nervous.

"Hey," Tony replied, equally as nervous as Steve was. This kind of thing was new to the genius, he didn't know what to say. He thought for a second before adding, "What are you thinking of ordering?"

Steve cleared his throat, brushing his chest. "Um... I think I'm gonna order an Iced Americano," making Tony grin. Who knew Captain America would like Iced Americanos? It also made him chuckle that he wanted the iced version, as he knew Steve had been frozen for seventy years. "What about you?"

"My usual - latte with a chocolate brownie," he replied, gazing into Steve's eyes. Kayleigh, the waitress, came over and took their orders, having a little chat with Tony, telling him she felt much better and ready to be at work, and introducing herself to Steve, giving Tony a smirk as she walked away, knowing how much Tony liked him. A different waitress, who Tony knew was named Rowena, came over a few minutes later with their order, and did the same as Kayleigh by introducing herself to Tony's date. Tony heard Rowena and Kayleigh giggling at the till, and turned around and rolled his eyes at them playfully. 

Tony and Steve had a long chat, Tony talking about what happened to Howard after Steve had 'died', and Steve telling him his experience after he was taken out of the ice. Tony felt deeply saddened for Steve, he couldn't imagine what it would feel like to wake up after 70 years, with none of his old friends and no-one that shared the same experience to talk to. On the other hand, Steve felt the same way for Tony, surprised when he heard that Howard didn't always treat him right. Steve knew that Howard was a bit of playboy back in the day, but he had told Steve one day that he wanted kids, but not yet, he didn't want a child born during a war.

Wanting to brighten up the conversation, Tony asked him if he had any plans for the rest of the day. "I'm going to see my friend again, you know the one who was feeling ill? She's feeling better now, so we're gonna get dinner at her favourite restaurant - Mr. Snider's," Tony loved Mr. Snider's almost as much as the coffee shop. They sold a lot of different foods there, but they were known for their delicious gourmet burgers, which happened to be Tony's favourite food. Telling Steve this, he smiled as Steve replied. "You'll have to meet her someday, since you two have something in common. Her name's Natasha,"

Tony also had a friend named Natasha who had been ill recently, causing him to be surprised. It couldn't be the same one, could it? "What's her last name?" he asked, just to be sure.

"Romanoff, Natasha Romanoff," Tony's eyes widened. It really was the same one! "Would you like to join us, since you already know who she is?" Steve asked.

Tony would have to think about that one. He came out to Natasha two months ago, so that wouldn't be an issue. Natasha was completely supportive, and actually tried to find Tony a boyfriend, but Tony told her not to, telling her that he wasn't ready for a relationship. He was sure she'd approve of Steve, as they were friends. He texted Pepper quickly, informing her of Steve's question and asking her if he had any plans for the evening. She replied back a minute later, telling him that he had a meeting with one of the district managers of Stark Industries at 3pm, but it should only take an hour, so he'd have time to freshen up at the tower and meet Steve and Natasha at 5. Steve texted Natasha, asking if it was okay with her, after Tony said yes. She was completely fine with it, and was excited to see Tony, as they hadn't seen each other in a few weeks. 

Tony walked Steve to his apartment in Brooklyn, thanking Steve for the coffee date and leaving. He then got in the car with his chauffeur & bodyguard, Happy, who also happened to be Tony's long-time best friend. The two met at one of Tony's parties back in the 90s, when Happy had been a bodyguard for a different man, who treated Happy very unfairly - he didn't pay him enough and often insulted him. At Tony's party, Happy had had enough of that treatment and ended up causing a scene, which prompted Tony to break up their argument and help Happy calm down. Happy had been staying with his boss since it was easier to carry out his role as bodyguard if he was with him most of the time, so since he had nowhere to go, Tony let him stay with him until he found his own place, which caused the two of them to become friends.

Tony looked back at Steve's apartment behind him, feeling excitement in his chest. He wasn't sure he could concentrate on his work today, knowing he could see Steve again in the evening.