Epilogue

Epilogue

The Present

B'Elanna turned to face the taller woman. "You know why?"

"Yes, B'Elanna, I believe I do."

Torres simply nodded for her to continue. "Her heart was broken. And I had broken it."

B'Elanna didn't understand. "What do you mean you broke it, Seven?"

"A year or so ago, she had confided to Tom that she loved me and wanted a relationship with me. But being who she was, she would not contemplate an intimate relationship while Voyager was stranded. I grew restless and discovered at the same time that I had feelings for Chakotay. Our relationship is getting stronger each day. But it was my fault."

A stray tear cascaded down Seven's cheek. "I also believe that she had given every ounce of strength and devotion to getting home, and that also was responsible for this. She had given everything she was and everything she had. She had no more to give."

"It's so unfair, Seven." B'Elanna could no longer hold it in and her human side won the battle and she began sobbing. "It's so fucking unfair!"

"No, it is not, B'Elanna Torres", Seven concurred. "Life rarely is."

The two friends consoled each other for a few long moments, sharing the hurt they both felt. The sun was starting to set. "C'mon Borg", B'Elanna finally said, failing in the attempt at levity. "We need to get back to San Francisco."

"One more moment, B'Elanna." Seven approached the object of their musings.

She kneeled down, brought two fingers to her lips, kissed them then pressed them to the market. "Sleep well. I will always love you."

As the two women finally wandered away, the marker was left to itself, the inscription on it which had cut through the soul of everyone in Starfleet.

Captain Kathryn Elizabeth Janeway

May 20, 2034-August 18, 2078

Beloved Captain of the Starship Voyager

Ad Astra