𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

"The pain you feel is a message. Let it teach you."

I stumbled into the car, checking my phone. I could feel Nike look at me as I read over the text.

"Who is it from?" she asked, and I froze. Shit.

"The Wicked Witch of the West," I said, and Nike groaned.

"What are they trying to make you do this time?" She asked as I closed the door of the car.

"They want me to come for dinner, apparently, my father wants to talk to me afterward," I said, and Nike nodded and started the car.

"You shouldn't go. Knowing your dad, he wouldn't actually talk to you." Nike said, and I pursed my lips. I typed out a response before deleting it and typing another.

Ella: What does Fa want to talk to me about?

I started at the three dots on the screen as my stepmother typed out a response.

Tessa (Karen 2.0): You don't need to know, just show up.

Tessa (Karen 2.0): We're sending over a driver in two hours. 

I snorted, before typing my own response.

Ella: I'll drive myself. Don't bother sending anyone.

Tessa (Karen 2.0): Your father was the one who suggested it.

Tessa (Karen 2.0): Go with the driver

Nike glanced towards me, "What is she trying to make you do?" she asked, and I pursed my lips.

"She wants me to go over with a driver like three hours early. I said I would drive myself. But apparently, it was my father who said that I needed to be picked up." I say, confused. "But, my father would never waste time or money on me if he didn't need to."

"I wouldn't go, but if you really want to drive," Nike said, pulling up to a stoplight. Turning to me, she glanced at the messages as I held up my phone to her. 

"I really don't want to go, but it might be something important," I say, leaning back into the chair.

Nike frowned as the light turned green. "You shouldn't feel like you have to go Ella. That's super toxic."

"I'm aware, but I can't remember the last time my father has wanted to talk to me," I say looking out the window. I heard Nike drumming the steering wheel, as I stared at the city moving past us.

Nike was a wonderful friend, but she didn't understand having to wait for your parents to ask for you first. She didn't get the unsaid rules between me and my parents. She did try, but she really didn't understand why I wanted them to reach out first.

As we pulled up to the apartment complex, I texted Tessa back.

Ella: I am going to drive myself, don't waste time sending over a driver. I'll be there around 4:00.

I could feel Nike looking over my shoulder as I sent the message. I looked at her as she averted my eyes and I turned off my phone.