𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

"I'll do whatever it takes to take what's mine."

I don't remember what happened after seeing the photo, I just remember leaving, my vision turned red as I made my way over to the kickboxing gym. I think Damien called out for me at some point.

I was not going to let her take this from me. I didn't care if she wanted to take my father, my house, my room, my inheritance, but she was not going to impersonate me and ruin the life of someone uninvolved in this matter.

She was still a minor after all. I bet they didn't think of that when releasing the article.

The doors of the gym swung open and I looked up to see the newbie I had shown the ropes to a few days ago walking out.

"Oh, hey! I was wondering when you were coming back," he said a smile on his face. I ignored him, pushing past to head to my locker with a few extra supplies in, and immediately started to wrap my shaking hands. That's when I noticed the kid still standing behind me.

"Look Abe, or whatever your name is, leave me alone. At least for today," I growl, shutting my locker.

"It's Ace, and I was wondering if you want to spar," he asked cheerfully, and I turned to look at him, spotting Jerry (Gaston) stepping forward. I felt a little relieved to see him, okay, but I turned to face a punching bag as he started to speak to Ace as I started to shove my fists into the leather.

"I recommend you leave Ella alone when she gets like this," Jerry says just loud enough for me to hear.

"I've almost lost a couple of teeth from choosing the wrong time to have a match with her," he continues as I punch the bag, my knuckles starting to numb.

"She's got some issues to work through, so just don't bug her unless she comes in smiling," Jerry finishes as I kick the bag just hard enough for some of the stitches to pop, and I turn to Jerry who's looking towards the entrance.

That's when I see Daniel standing next to my mother.

This day couldn't get any better, could it?

"Bye Jerry, Abe," I say heading towards my locker as the two stare at me.

"It's Ace just for your information," the boy corrects and I sigh. Whatever.

I rip my wrappings off as the pair approach me.

"No," I snap at the pair throwing in the bandages before storming out.

However, my moodiness doesn't deter them and they follow after Daniel calls my name.

"Eleanor," my mother snaps, and I turn to face her, my eyes dripping with malice and hate.

"Do not call me that," I snarl, turning away to head back home.

"We need to talk," she says, and I laugh.

"Not without lawyers." I snarl and she sighs.

"I know you are Cinderella from that night. I want to make sure that your step-sister does not take credit as it will ruin all relations we have with the Solons," she says and I freeze.

"Who is 'we' in this situation?" I ask and she frowns.

"Your father and I of course," she clarifies and I scoff.

"Have you ever considered me to be part of your life outside of a Christmas Card?" I say, turning away, and storming back toward the cafe, Daniel following after me.

"Ella, please listen to your mother, she just wants to help you," he says, and I can feel my face burning.

"No," I snap, turning to face him, "she wants to help herself by taking advantage of the person she put into this world. That's all she's ever done when it comes to me. I could be dying and the only reason she would ever come by is to make sure it doesn't damage her reputation." I snap, and Daniel freezes.

"Ella, she cares about you, she would never leave you to die," he says and I laugh.

"She has Daniel. So, she's not my mother in my book." I spot the woman staring over her assistant's shoulder at me, her eyes wide. I turn away, creating distance between us. She's been able to live with her choice for the past five years, a little bit of sympathy won't change what's been done.

I spot Nike outside the cafe looking around for someone before she spots me. Noticing my expression, she heads over and wraps her arms around me.

For a moment, I stiffen before everything breaks and tears start to stain her shirt as I sob into her, my arms wrapped around her frame.

Distractions are only distractions, but I was lucky enough to have found a lifeboat while drowning when I met Nike.

"Do you need to go home?" she whispers into my ear and I nod, ignoring the burning gazes of my mother and Daniel as Nike pulls me towards the parking lot my vision blurry as we go.

However, despite my emotional state, I knew that war was coming and the prize was a 25-year-old bachelor who my stepmother saw as prime meat. 

I would not let him go to the slaughterhouse alone.

(1066 words)

I'm not dying! 

So, I've had a rough few weeks. Finals, medical tests, the whole shebang. Anyways, I've gotten the results back from the tests. You know how some people will say "I'm built different." Well, I literally am funny enough, which means surgery time.

I'm trying to finish this book before January 20, and I'm going to do so still, but know it's going to mean shorter chapters as I prepare for my three surgeries. It will also mean that I'll be writing frantically as a new semester approaches and my first surgery does too.

However, after Jan. 20, 2023, I'll be dark for a while because I have surgery to get a port, and then things will escalate from there.

I appreciate all the support this book has gotten, and it really means a lot to me. I hope you all enjoyed this shorter and rushed chapter regardless, and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Stay Safe.