Unfortunately, I Thought of You

You weren't ready.

Since the alert had come in that the First Order would be sending a transporter to Orinda, your hands had been jittery. There'd been no indication, no hint as to what your team should be expecting when they arrived. In the four months since you'd arrived at the fuel post, you hadn't received a single visitor from the brass.

"Hey, Chief."

The voice called you as you were chest-deep in a pile of fuel-cells. Grunting, you wrenched yourself free, patting the reactor dust from your uniform. Certainly there was some in your hair, too.

"Hey, hi Tonis, what's up?" You tried to restrain your anxiety to the perimeter of your mind. "Can, uh, can I help you?"

Tonis, your third engineer, sighed, wrangling his hands together as he looked to the ground. "Do you know what's going on with this transport unit arriving?" His thin lips twisted in a frown. "They're saying that they might be shutting the post down."

"Oh, jeez." You shook your head, grabbing a rag from the terminal and wiping your hands. "No, no. Nothing like that. I'm sure."

"Okay," he said. "Good. I really, really, really don't want to be moved. Again."

Grimacing, you looked at your reflection in the terminal facade. "I know."

"Orinda's really great," he said. "All the different ships we get to work on. And it's so quiet. And our team is so great--"

"I know." You mussed your hair, as if shoving dirty fingers through it would improve its appearance. Incredibly, it did not. "They're only sending three people. I'm sure it can't be that big of a deal."

"But that's the thing!" he said. "Don't you think that a transport unit with only a few passengers must be here for something super-official?"

Your chest seized, and you cleared your throat, turning back to him.

"Maybe." You ignored the hot burn of your cheeks. "Guess we'll see when they get here."

The terminal blipped, a familiar pattern that indicated the atmosphere had been breached. It'd been awhile since you'd felt like you had the power to summon anything of importance with a single thought. The reminder tweaked your heart.

"Or... I guess we'll see now."

Tonis squealed, running through the post. "Hey! Hey guys! The First Order's here! The First Order's arrived!"

Sighing, you looked into the terminal again. Four months hadn't changed your appearance too much. Not that it mattered. Or it might. But you wouldn't worry about it. Only a little.

You steeled your nerves and walked out of the hangar into the dusty outcropping of the fuel outpost. Flat land stretched for miles in diameter from your station, a rolling pitch of blue mountains in the far distance, the wind whipping across the plains, rustling the dry grass. Shielding your eyes with a hand, you gazed up and spotted the transporter, a blooming black spot in the cloudless sky, quickening the pace of your pulse with every passing second.

It was just a transporter. He wouldn't be on it. There was nothing to freak out about.

Tonis had gathered the rest of your massive crew--all three of them, him included--and they surrounded you, faces taut with anticipation.

"What do you think it is, Chief?" That was Mirna, your second engineer, a short, wide-set thing, with buzzed hair and a gruff voice. "You think they're shutting the place down?"

"She already said she doesn't think it's that," Tonis replied.

"Well, yeah, but then, why are they just sending three people?" said Lin, your mechanic.