Time is Limited

Like the smarmy bastard he was, Hux fought off a smirk. But Allegiant General Pryde gazed at you with what some might refer to as sheer, indignant horror.

Kylo Ren stopped feet from the throne, his gaze wandering your grungy hair, dirtied uniform, the cell filth on your face.

"Hm," he said. "That's one way to greet your Supreme Leader."

Embers tickled your cheeks. Your Supreme Leader.

You looked at the two other men. What was on your tongue: Would you prefer I get on my knees instead?

What you ended up saying: "Uh, sorry. Sir."

"I believe the Supreme Leader requires an apology a little more comprehensive than uh, sorry." Pryde stepped forward, as if to explain. "Sir, this woman was brought aboard by General Hux without prior approval."

Kylo glanced between the older men, stare drifting to you, the darkness in his eyes reviving an animal within you that had been placed on life support.

"Yes," he replied. "I don't recall providing authorization for this."

"Supreme Leader," Hux said, "we both know your TIE has been out of commission for several cycles. I thought it prudent to--"

"You thought it prudent to ask a manager of a remote outpost to come aboard the flagship of the First Order. I assume that's what you're about to say." Pryde paused, waiting for Hux's contrition--but none came. He turned to Kylo. "Sir, again, please forgive me. Had I known he'd be bringing aboard a rim-dweller who would defy your authority, I would've denied his request, entirely."

"Defiance." Kylo's gaze drilled you. Much like you had dreamt of something else of his drilling you. "I hadn't noticed."

Pryde balked. "Well, I hardly find it appropriate to address the Supreme Leader of the First Order as dude, for starters." He spat the word onto the floor like poison. "Really, General, you and her both should be begging for his pardon."

You swallowed, attention on Kylo, trying to hide your glee. "Please, please forgive me," you murmured. "Supreme Leader."

Hux cleared his throat. "My apologies as well, sir."

"Hm." If he'd understood your tease, he didn't acknowledge it. You frowned. Kylo looked to the cloaked mercenaries behind you. "Escort her back to Orinda."

Disbelief smacked you across the face. "I'm sorry, what?"

Sputtering, Hux stepped forward. "Supreme Leader--"

"You don't belong on this vessel," Kylo said, glimpsing you, then the cloaked figures again. "Report is postponed. Prepare the Buzzard for departure."

Like droids, they activated and brushed past you, stalking toward the turbolift. The Supreme Dickhead gazed at you expectantly.

"They're not patient."

You shook your head, crossing your arms. "If you think I'm leaving--"

"Supreme Leader," Hux said again. For once, you felt like both of you were stuck in the same flabbergasted pod. "Repairing your fighter has already wasted the time of numerous engineers, we don't need to add--"

"Perhaps every engineer aboard deserves to have their time equally wasted, General."

Hux's jaw tensed. "If you wish, sir," he replied. "But we could resolve the issue now."

"We won't."

For whatever reason, Kylo Ren seemed dedicated to preventing you from working on this ship, as if he didn't know your skill level. As if he believed other engineers deserved a shot at it over you. Ignoring the furious trembling of your fingers, you dug them into your sleeves.