Daniella Benton 3: Just Clumsy

The next few days come and go in a blur of beatings, study sessions, nightmares, and late midnight talks with Sebastian or James.

I let out a gasp as the back of my father's hand collides with my mouth. I can't hear what he says next for the ringing in my ears. I'm left as a worthless heap on the floor. I bring my fingers up and feel my busted bottom lip.

I watch as he stomps out of the house on his way to work. I pull myself together after the door slams shut, wiping a few meaningless tears away. I never cry when these things happen. I take it as a sign of exhaustion.

I pull my book bag up from the floor and head to meet my friends. They greet me with their usual smiles and waves. I slide into the booth beside Sebastian. "Where's Presley?" I ask.

James sighs. "She, uh... couldn't make it tonight."

I nod in understanding. Sebastian smiles and slides me his coffee, before going back to his book only to do a double-take. "What happened?"

For a split second I'm confused. "Huh?"

He points a finger. "What happened to your lip?" This question catches James's attention and he looks up from his artwork.

I shake my head and roll my eyes playfully. "I apparently had to learn the hard way: don't fight crack heads." I shrug my shoulders. "She was a lot tougher than she looked."

James's eyebrows furrow and Sebastian's face drops to a look of pure concern. I feel panic rush through my system and I start to get out my book with a sigh. "I rolled out of bed, literally, and hit my nightstand."

James goes back to his work, but I can tell Sebastian won't let it go. I huff and turn to face his gaze. "What?" I ask, and take a sip of his coffee that he slid to me.

He shakes his head lightly and raises his eyebrows. "Nothing." He mumbles before going back to his book.

It's about fifteen minutes before Sebastian asks, "So, it's going to happen pretty soon, huh?"

"Hmm?"

"Your date." He smiles, and James chokes on his cappuccino.

I shake my head. "What about it?" I ask.

"Date?" James chokes out.

"His name is Kingston. He's twenty-two, and is too nice." Sebastian smiles wickedly at me.

He acts like a child telling on his sibling. James condones this behavior. I chuckle at my thoughts while James stares at me in disbelief.

I don't expect Sebastian to be too concerned at this point. I feel like if it were any other guy he would be, but for some reason he can't let this kid's name go. James on the other hand... I feel a slight acceleration in my heart. I'm an only child, and James is the closest thing I have to an older protective brother.

He wipes the foam from his red mustache and beard. "Too nice?" He asks causing Sebastian's smile to widen, showing off his beautiful white teeth. James shakes his head lightly. "It sounds like he's too old."

Sebastian's face drops into confusion and disbelief. "No he isn't! It's only three years, and he's younger than you!"

I laugh lightly, and take another sip of coffee; all worry leaving my mind. James cracks a smile. "Someone seems to be a fan of this mysterious Kingston."

"She said he was 'too nice,' James." Sebastian shakes his head. "I'm the only sane person here." He mumbles to himself causing James and I to laugh lightly.