Daniella Benton 5: Magnetic

So far, I feel like the luckiest person on earth. I was saved from a drunk jerk thanks to a gorgeously handsome man that I had seen earlier and had an unspoken connection with.

I take another bite of my pasta as David continues to explain his job. "I basically collect the money, and then exchange it equally among all of us." He points over to one of the two men at the table Kingston yelled at. "See that man? That's Taylor. He's trying to seal a deal with that man from the Johnson's Corporation.

"Everyone in here that you see dressed up really nice actually works in the sales department at my office."

My jaw drops slightly, but I quickly recover. "Everyone?" I chuckle. "But how is that.."

He smiles lightly at my confused face. "We are trying to seal deals with a lot of big corporations in the New York and New Jersey area." He takes a bite of his pasta.

I nod in understanding. "Okay, and you're over the sales department?"

He nods.

"So, were you also waiting to see someone tonight to try and close a deal?"

He nods with a grin. "Yes, I was. Then at one point I got a text that their company's CEO had changed his mind and doesn't want to do business."

He smiles brightly and I swear I can see his eyes twinkle. "But then, I noticed this beautiful girl. And I wondered what she's doing here. So, I ended up staying to find out."

"Well.." I smile with a small blush, "lucky for her you did."

He lowers his head with a smile. "Enough about me. Tell me... what do you do?"

I almost choke on my own saliva. I'm terrified he'll want nothing to do with me when he finds out I'm nineteen. He's older, has a nice high paying job, has his own house and car I assume. He has his life together.

He won't want anything to do with a nineteen year old freshman in college. How can I can say that's what I am, without really saying that? I think for a few moments.

"Oh, I'm seeking higher education." I smile.

"That's great." He smiles. "Where are you going?"

"Touro College."

He nods in understanding, and takes a sip of his wine. "Oh I didn't even ask." He smiles. "Would you like a glass?"

I take in a sharp breath. "Oh, no, that's fine." I chuckle lightly to play it off.

This date has been lovely so far, and I really don't want to ruin it by saying my age. He'll probably freak out. I know the kind of guy he is. He won't be rude or show it, he's too nice, but there definitely won't be another date after this one.

He raises an eyebrow. "Are you sure? It would be no problem to order you a glass."

"Yeah, I'm okay. It's fine." I wave it off and take another bite of my pasta.

"Ahh, I understand." He smiles lightly. "You don't drink?"

I shake my head, and he nods. I sigh lightly. I might as well just say it, and get it over with. I won't have another date with him, but at least I was lucky enough to go on this one. Besides, it's going to come out sooner or later, and I would prefer to be honest and get it out of the way. "I don't drink... because.. I'm not old enough to drink."

I instantly regret it. I wish I could permanently remove the image of David's face of realization and the blank look that follows.

"I would rather be honest with you now instead of you finding out later. So, I'm nineteen." I feel shame flood my face and I stare at the tablecloth. I feel every pound of my heart, and I can feel a hot and cold sensation of a certain kind of deep embarrassment that rushes over my skin.