Daniella Benton 6: Our Demons

I sit the glass of water down on the marble counter while letting out another breath of relief that my dad isn't here.

David takes the glass in his hand and takes a sip. "Umm.." he shakes his head lightly, "forgive me, but uhh.. your parents..?"

I smile, but my voice is bland. "It's just me and my dad." My body stiffens as the image of his face pops up in my mind. I shake my head to get rid of it. "He's not here." I shrug and face the fridge, opening it, searching mindlessly for nothing in particular.

"Well.." I hear David say lowly. "would you like to dance?"

I smile and shake my head. "There's no music."

As soon as I say the words I hear a soft sweet instrumental song begin. I chuckle lightly as I see David's cute innocent smile as he raises his eyebrows. He looks so happy while setting his phone down on the counter.

I notice the only light in the kitchen is coming from his phone, the cold light of the fridge, and the glow of the moon in the multiple large windows on the far side of the room. For the first time I feel completely comfortable and in my element in this kitchen.

He holds out his hand for me. "Why not?"

I smile brightly and place my hand into his. He grips my hand lightly and spins me into his chest. His other hand comes to rest at my waist. I chuckle lightly. "I'm not a good dancer." I smile.

David shakes his head and helps me move and sway in rhythm. "Yes you are."

I look down at our shadow that's cast on the hardwood floor. A tall man in a suit, leaning his head towards the corner of my neck while my forehead rests on his chest just below his shoulder. I smile and let myself relax.

This man I barely know has been so nice to me. He's one of the only people to ever treat me like I deserve something good. I feel butterflies bubble up in my stomach as he pulls me closer to him.

"You're gorgeous, Daniella." He whispers.

I chuckle. "You really know how to make a girl swoon."

He spins me away from him, and spins me back to where my back is against his chest. "Really?" He chuckles lowly. "I hadn't noticed. I guess it just comes naturally." His voice is like velvet next to my ear.

"Really?" It comes out more serious and forward that I had intended for it to.

He spins me, and now I'm facing him. He holds my waist in place, and his beautiful eyes stare into mine. He shakes his head. "To be honest." He looks away from me and a light blush comes over his cheeks while he lets out a breath. "You are.." he trails off for a moment, "...I am trying so hard to..." he chuckles and pulls me closer as he fights for the right words, "I just want to be here." He shrugs and looks into my eyes again. "Just here, with you."

I blush some and rest my head against his chest. He cradles my head in his hand and smoothes out my hair down my back, letting his hand stay there. We continue to sway in the dimly lit kitchen while the instrumental piece plays lowly in the background.

He rests his head against mine, and I feel him relax and his breathing even out. Everything feels perfect in this moment. Everything is perfect. Silly girlish thoughts rise in my mind.

I soak in every second of it. I breathe in his cologne, feel his strong heartbeat, and feel how his fingers run over the ends of my hair.

Before I know it the song is over and we are left swaying in a silent, empty, dimly lit kitchen. He holds me close, and stops swaying. I feel both of his arms wrap around me in a hug.