three

"i can't believe you're actually going to do it!" lucy squealed, jumping up and down in maddie's basement.
"yeah, yeah." she laughed. "i asked my parents, and as long as i can pay for my hotel for the three nights, i can go."
"yes!" lucy hugged her best friend. "i can't believe you're already living out our dream of being on broadway."
"cool it, lucy." she giggled. "i'm auditioning. i'm not on broadway."
"yet." she tried and failed to wink, ending up with an exaggerated blink that made maddie dissolve into a fit of giggles.

maddie dropped her car keys on the counter after school on tuesday, and went straight back to her room to finish packing for her trip. the auditions were tomorrow.
the nerves were beginning to set in, and trying to press them down was useless. so, she tried to channel that nervous energy into some type of method acting. she was constantly thinking about what cady heron would do in every single situation.
it was pretty easy, because what cady would do was exactly what maddie did anyway.
lucy had a point. she was a real life cady.
there was a knock at her door, which wasn't totally surprising.
"i've decided that i'm coming with you." lucy showed up on the doorstep, her suitcase already packed. "no, i don't care that i'll have to sleep on the floor, and yes, i will pay for my own food, and yes, i got us tickets to mean girls again, and-"
"oh, yeah, i figured you were coming." maddie let her in, still in her coat. "i booked a room with two beds. wait-" she doubled back and raised an eyebrow. "you got us tickets again?"
"yeah! and they're in the orchestra!"
"wow. nice." maddie nodded. "we're leaving in ten, by the way."
"oh, i've been ready." lucy grinned.

"they had aaron, janis, and damian auditions last week." lucy mused as she flipped through a generic magazine on the train.
"oh?"
"they didn't announce the casting yet, though."
"not like it'll be anyone we know. it's probably all unknown people."
"yeah." she nodded. "cady auditions are in the morning for the next three days, and karen's in the afternoon."
"those should be interesting." maddie laughed. "i wonder how many girls who think they can belt sexy will show up."
"i'm guessing a few hundred too many."
the speaker system on the train crackled to life, notifying them that they were about to pull into new york.

madsfranklin: i'm supposed to be in school but i came to nyc instead

madsfranklin: i'm supposed to be in school but i came to nyc instead... 📸: @lucyrhodes
87 comments