four

the day of the audition had come. it was five thirty in the morning, and the sun had barely come up, but maddie had been awake for almost an hour. she was picking through her suitcase, trying to find an outfit that said "pick me!" without saying it too loudly.
what would cady wear?
jeans, she thought. and those cute black boots she had.
after switching tops three times, she finally landed on a light orange sweater. by then, she was already running late, so maddie grabbed her binder and threw on her coat, then ran out the door.

the studio was just up the street from maddie's hotel, and by the time she got there, there were only twenty or so girls in line ahead of her.
maddie printed her name onto the signup sheet and took a seat along the wall. she flipped through her binder, looking at the music she had picked to sing. the headshot lucy took just a week before stared up at her. her sparse resume was pinned underneath, and maddie just hoped her singing would be enough to distract the casting directors from her less-than-stellar resume.
a few minutes passed, and the first girl went into the audition room.
seconds ticked by slowly as the faint sounds of shrill attempts at mixing came from the room. soon enough, though, maddie's name was called, and she stood up with a smile.
"hi." she greeted the blonde who held the door open.
"hi, i'm becca. i'm the dance captain. i can take your headshot and resume."
maddie handed them to her.
"relax, and good luck." she smiled, then sat down behind the table while maddie went to hand her music to the pianist.
she smiled at the men and women behind the table, then gave a slight nod to the pianist.
it was a familiar tune that maddie had just performed weeks earlier: for the first time in forever. she knew it, she could sing it like nobody's business, and it was a great song for cady, she thought.
the cut started halfway through the song, giving maddie a chance to show off the last passage. as she sang out the final "nothing's in my way," she couldn't help but smile to herself.
that was a damn good audition if she'd ever had one.

"so?" lucy grinned when her friend opened the door to the hotel room.
"i got a callback!" maddie threw her arms up into the air and started to jump up and down. she couldn't contain her excitement. even getting a callback was a dream come true.
"we have to celebrate!" lucy grabbed her hands. "come on, we can get pizza, we can go visit the theatre!"
"yes! we can't be out too late, though. my callback is at nine tomorrow morning."
"you'll be in bed by eight." she giggled. "come on, then! let's go!"

lucyrhodes: yes we r wearing tank tops in new york in january what about it ?66 comments

66 comments