Flashback 2

June 5th, 1988

It was a Friday, the day of Draco's eighth birthday, and June's entire family was invited over to the Malfoys for his birthday celebration - even little Edith, merely two years old.

June did absolutely not want to go, but she knew better now. She was in no place to defy her father. She still had a large, healing bruise on her shoulder from when her father had gripped harshly the other day. Marl concealed it with a bit of magic - her big, round eyes filled with compassion for the young girl in front of her. Her father beat her even worse than he did the elves - and that said a lot.

She was wearing a pretty lilac coloured little dress with delicate flowers sewn onto it, her volumionous, curly hair tied up in a ponytail at the top of her head.

"Are you ready, June?" her mother shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

"Yes, coming!" June responded, shouting back down the stairs.

A moment later, they apparated to Malfoy Manor.

The house elf Posy greeted them at the door, per usual, leading them into the manor. Malfoy Manor was decorated extravagantly for the day, the generally dark aesthetic brightened by tasteful touches of silver and green.

"Look who's here, Draco," Narcissa said in a pleased voice as she spun around to face them, offering them a warm and welcoming smile. The birthday boy stood up from his armchair and he, too, turned to look at them.

June's father pushed at her back, making her stumble forward with the present in her hands. "Happy birthday, Draco," she said, extending the extensively wrapped present to him.

"Thanks," Draco mumbled shyly as he grabbed it. He looked down at the present, his fingers fumbling with the shiny wrapping paper.

"Go on then, son, open it," Lucius said as he patted his son's back.

Draco slowly started to tear away the wrapping paper, revealing a deck of Exploding Snap cards. The present came with an envelope, containing a check with a large sum that had been transfered to his Gringotts vault - like he needed any more money.

Draco's eyes turned bright as he looked at the cards. Exploding snap was a very fun and popular game amongst pupils and, oddly enough, it was one of the few things not already in his posession.

"This is great!" Young Draco exclaimed, looking quite chuffed.

"We're very happy you like it, Draco," June's mother said with a smile.

Later on, their parents settled into the lavish, tufted armchairs in the drawing room. Maureen was holding little Edith in her lap as they spoke. All the while, June and Draco were sitting on the dark, marble floor playing a game of Exploding Snap. June really enjoyed the game; she was very skilled at it and loved knowing how easily she could beat Draco.

"Ha!" June shouted as she hit the last card, winning the game.

"You cheated!" Draco accused, a bitter expression on his face.

"I did not! I won fair and square," she argued defensively, crossing her arms.

"Bollocks!" Draco exclaimed, running his hands all over the cards on the floor, messing them up and causing them to scatter in all various directions.

"Oh, just because you're a sore loser!" June scoffed, tossing her hands up in the air in frustration.

Just then, Draco let out a loud wail, his pale face turning redder and redder by the second. "Father!"

The adults dropped what they were doing and turned their heads to face them, having no clue what was going on.

"What is it, my boy?" Lucius asked calmly as he neared them, Augustus following shortly after.

"June cheated!" Draco yelled, pointing an accusing finger at her.

Lucius simply chuckled.

"I didn't- I swear," June said, her voice trembling as she saw the death glare her father was giving her.

After that, Draco was in a foul mood for the rest of the evening. All because of a stupid game.

~*~

They were home now, June and her father standing alone in his study.

"You should have let him win!" his father snarled as he gritted his teeth, scolding her.

"But-" June tried. Instead of listening to her, he smacked her head harshly with his hand.

"How many times do I have to tell you to play nice?? Is it really that hard YOU STUPID CHILD?" he roared.

"I-" she began.

"My desk," he stated. "Now!" he added, stomping his foot harshly on the floor.

June dreadfully made her way over to her father's large, dark, wooden desk. Her father followed behind her.

"Bend over," he demanded.

June gulped, stifling a cry as she bent over the desk, resting her cheek against the cold, hard, glossy surface.

She could hear the sound of metal clinking as he unbuckled his belt, before he roughly tugged her dress up over her butt and pulled her knickers down. Her entire body tensed as she braced herself for what was to come. This was not the first time, and it certainly wouldn't be the last.

She heard him take a deep breath before striking her with his belt, an agonizing pain spreading through her entire body as she let out a sharp cry.

And then he struck her again. Over and over. His belt leaving painful, red marks on her skin.

He made her count every single hit, the anticipation killing her.

"...sixteen"

She needed it to stop.

"...s-seventeen"

The pain was getting unbareable.

"...eighteen"

Her skin was burning.

"...nineteen"

Just one more.

"...twenty!"

Her voice broke.

A lonely tear streaked down her face, her mind screaming in the silence.