Chapter Two

When Monday morning had come around, I drove to the office with Ben after spending the entire weekend at the Upper West Side penthouse apartment that he and Ivy shared because I didn't want to be alone. 

I spent most of the weekend either talking with Ivy and Ben or doting on my godchildren. I also finally mustered up the courage to call the CPS agency in San Fransisco who were very enthusiastic to hear from me. The baby, who is yet to be named, is happy and healthy, they told me. I made arrangements to pick him up on Saturday morning and fly back to New York with him that evening. I also contacted the funeral home my sister was at and they said they would arrange for her body to be flown home on Saturday afternoon. I still had to go to her apartment and clear that out which I desperately didn't want to do. 

"Chin up, quello piccola," Ben said encouragingly to me as we walked into the elevator to go to our respective floors. "it'll all be okay."

"I hope so," I sighed and then leaned into him for the side hug he was giving me. 

After leaving me on my floor, I headed into my office.

"Morning, Tar," I greeted Tara.

"Morning," She smiled at me. "Got your coffee and a chocolate croissant waiting for you on your desk."

"Thanks," I said with a weak smile.

She frowned instantly in concern. "Oh dear. Should that coffee be a mimosa instead?'

"More like tequila," I muttered and then flopped down on the couch that was in the tiny waiting room of my office.

"Is everything okay?" Tara asked me.

With a deep sigh, I told her everything that had happened on Friday evening.

"Oh my God," She blurted out when I'd told her everything. "Shit, Bree, I'm so sorry."

"It is what it is," I sighed sadly. "But yeah, on Monday I'm going to have a baby strapped to my chest. So exciting."

"Hey, at least you'll have a part of your sister with you," She said with a sad smile as she hugged me.

"Yeah, I guess," I murmured. 

After finding the coffee and croissant on my desk as Tara had promised, I drank the latte and ate a bit of the croissant while sending a slack message to the president of the Network, Jackson Samuels requesting to meet with him and Annelise, the company's head of HR. Almost instantly I got a message back from both of them letting me know they would be free in the next five minutes for half an hour.

"I'm going to see Jackson quickly," I told Tara as I left the office.

"Good luck!" She called after me.

When the elevator dropped me off on the nineteenth floor, aka the executive floor, I greeted Jackson's secretary, Linda, before seeing myself into Jackson's office.

"Sabrina," The president of the Network smiled broadly at me. "What can I do for you this morning?"

Jackson Samuels is one of the most wonderful people to ever exist, in my opinion. He was the one that convinced the other executives that I could do my own show because he believed in me and he's backed me every step of the way since that day.

"Morning, Jax. Morning, Annelise," I greeted the two of them as I took a seat on the chair opposite them. "Thanks for seeing me so quickly."

"Is everything okay?" Annelise asked me.

I smiled sadly. "Not really."

I quickly told the two of them about what had happened on Friday and that I would need Friday and the following week off to go to San Fransisco and then plan my sister's funeral and adjust to motherhood.