27 | Now You See Me Too

Aaliyah

"What time are you guys coming?" I asked Bilal for the one-hundredth time since yesterday.

I was terribly excited to finally know that today was the day we were actually travelling to Kaduna.

As a child I barely travelled anywhere in Nigeria with my parents because they were always busy. They tried to make it up with trips around the globe but my interest truly lied in the map of Nigeria.

"For the last time, we'll be there by 2:00pm. Don't call me again if that's what you want to ask!"

"Alright bye Billy. On your way, please bring me a pack of the *tuwon madara that your mum makes. I miss them wallahi."

"Ok. See you soon. Ehenn I  know you're a lazy child so better pack whatever you'll need before we come because we'll leave without you if you're not ready."

"Ok." And he hung up.

I pulled the medium sized travelling box I recently bought during a Jumia black Friday sale two weeks ago to the living room alongside my hand bag and a purple pashmina for my head.

I mocked Bilal's warnings in my head after completely making sure that I had packed all the necessities and was ready for the trip. Soon sleep overtook my already sleepy little head and I was being woken up by the consistent knocks coming from my door.

I checked the time on my wristwatch to be sure It wasn't time for Bilal and Hamza to be here before rushing to get the door. It was 13:20pm so I was confused but quickly opened it anyway just in case it was them and they decided to come earlier.

Holy shit!

Never in my two months of freedom did I think I'd come face to face with this woman since the day I left her house. And beside her was a man who I was sure I didn't know but his face had a strange familiarity that I couldn't put a finger on.

"Aunty..."

Before I could say another word she pushed the door and walked in with the strange man trailing behind her like he was her child--a lost puppy at that. She looking around as if she was in a completely different planet with shock written all over her face.

For sure she didn't see this coming.

I've left and I'm now a better person.

So the jokes on you...

I'd rather not complete that sentence.

"What are you doing in my house Aunty Raliya?" I asked, not knowing where the sudden confidence emerged from.

"So this is where you live." She said, not answering my question.

"I don't want to repeat myself. What are you doing here? And how did you find my house?"

She smiled mischievously, "I have my ways."

The strange man walked a few steps to my direction and knelt before me begging for the most bizarre thing.

Marriage?

Not for me.

In this age or time.

Never!

"Aaliyah please, I beg you in the name of God, marry me. Don't listen to all these small children trying to decieve you outside."

I staggered a bit, confused as to what to reply this man with.

"I'm sorry I can't do that. I believe you have a family and it'd be a shame if they saw you here begging your daughter to marry you."

"Please just listen. I'll show you what love is in different shades. You'll even forget that your boyfriend." He pulled at the ends of my abaya.