Chapter 32 : Envy

[the starting part is the past]

Ten-year-old Min Yoongi was walking down the park with a longing in his eyes. He looked around him, children playing around with their friends and parents, were the only thing he saw. They were laughing, giggling, some crying---they were playing.

He wasn't.

There was a hint of jealousy and longingness in him, as he looked around helplessly---the little kid couldn't help but feel lonely.

His mother never played with him---but she couldn't be blamed, her full day and night was spent only on working. Yoongi only saw her mother properly on the weekends, and that too, only a few hours in the day.

He went to school, came home, and wait till his mother comes home to eat together.

That was his only routine.

He never really got to experience things what the others did.

With all the other kids his age, or even older, was waiting for their parents to come and pick up from their school, when the other kids used to laugh with each other and tell their parents about their day right in front of his eyes, when the other kids wore awesome clothes and accessories, when the other kids used to smile happily---Yoongi felt jealous.

And he wasn't scared to admit it.

He was indeed jealous.

Not to the extent that he destroyed himself, but he did envy other kids his age. Just a bit of longingness, a tug in his chest, wishing that he had a loving family like the others.

And at that age, barely 10, he didn't know what was right and what was wrong.

He didn't even know whether envying others was right.

He just did whatever his mind told him to.

Just like that, with the same gloomy mindset he always had, with the same thought of having unbearable burden for a ten-year-old, with a heavy heart, he left the park, striding along the side of the roads. Kicking the stones laying here and there, his hands clasped together---he just walked not wanting to go home.

He'd be alone anyways.

With his father passing away a year ago, and his mother continuously working for saving herself and her only son, he was lonely. Really lonely.

It was understandable that his mother, Min Hyejin, was concentrating on keeping the family stable economically, she really failed in watching over her only child. The worst of all, she didn't even know where she was wrong---because all Yoongi does is smile and nod in front of his mother. And that left her with the impression that her son was doing fine. Perfect, indeed.

But at such a young age, Yoongi carried the burden of loneliness---something some elders weren't even aware of.

He was around people all day, he went to school all day---he was literally never alone physically, but there wasn't a second where he wasn't lonely.

Yoongi wasn't an expert in showing his feelings, and that gave him a great deal of disadvantage in making friends.

He was just lonely---nothing else. And the worst of all? He was lonely---without knowing the meaning of loneliness.

.

.

.

The seven-year-old Park Jimin was the most cheerful and the cutest child who could be found. Wherever he went people babied him like anything, and honestly, he loved it---he loved the attention he was getting.