XXV

SERAPHINA

Walking into the Room of Requirement, Seraphina found Tom standing in the center of the room; eyes instantly locking with her own. She took tentative steps forward, having no idea what she was getting herself into.

"Do you know how to defend yourself?" asked Tom as she made her way closer.

She shrugged, finally coming to a stop. "I know how to punch and slap a person."

"That's not the question," he tutted, closing the space between them. "If I was going to just..." Grabbing her wrist, Tom spun her around and pulled her backward so she was pressed flush against his chest. "How would you escape? How would you defend yourself?"

"A swift kick in the dick should fix that problem," Seraphina answered bluntly.

"Then go ahead," Tom challenged. "Try it."

Seraphina should've known it was a trap. Because as soon as her foot lifted up off of the ground, Tom grabbed her ankle and twisted, causing her to fall to the ground. Hitting the ground hard, pain exploded up her back. With her eyes shut tightly, she couldn't tell that Tom was kneeling down next to her, observing her every move.

"Angel," he cooed, pushing her hair out of her face. "You suck."

"Well thanks," she groaned. Deadpan. "It's not like I'm here because I know how to fight and don't need your help." Finally opening her eyes, Seraphina got to her feet and rubbed her sore back. "Where did you even learn to fight hand to hand combat? You seem as if you'd only rely on your wand."

"When you get bullied in a Muggle orphanage, you're forced to learn how to defend yourself without the use of magic. Bloody shame it is."

She absently nodded before lifting up her fists. "Well then, let's do this. Teach me how to fight."

"You're not even going to ask me what it is you will be learning?" he asked incredulously. "This is so unlike you, Angel."

Rolling her eyes, she got out of her fighting stance and crossed her arms impatiently. "Well, since you're obviously inclined to tell, then what is it I will be learning?"

"First, I want you off of your suppressing potions."

Her eyes widened. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, Angel. I. Want. You. Off. Of. Those. Damn. Potions."

She stepped back, shaking her head. "No way. You're insane!"

"We've been over this." Tom rolled his eyes. "I'm a psychopath, get over it already. This excuse of yours is beginning to annoy me." Before she could say anything, he continued on. "Now the reason why I want you off of those stupid potions is because I believe you can control your ability—"

"I can't."

His eyes instantly locked with hers. "Yes, you can."

"No," she repeated, "I can't. I have spent my entire life trying to control my stupid abilities and not once have I been successful in any way."

A smirk tugged at his lips. "That's because you haven't had me to teach you."

"Such a cocky bastard!" Seraphina exclaimed. "Do you even listen to yourself?"

"Of course I do. And I sound amazing." Tom shrugged his shoulders when he realized she was now gaping at him. "You walked right into that one, Angel. I am a narcissist after all."

What a piece of—

"Now that we have that all settled, show me your stance again." Tom walked up behind her as she got into her positioning, though he quickly tsked in disapproval. "You're too stiff and awkward."