chapter two

isabella lanvin

It's too early for this.

I don't know how I'm going to get used to waking up five days a week early enough where the sun is nowhere in sight. Glancing in the mirror, I started to feel anxiety in my chest.

This is my first time going to school–like the ones in the Americanized movies. I started to feel nervous not knowing what to expect. Slowly, I started to get myself ready for the day. If past me were to see what I'm currently doing, I know my past self would be confused on how I even go into this situation.

"Carolina!"

I grabbed my perfume and sprayed it across my body. "Yeah?" I responded through my closed door–I recognized Lucas' voice quickly.

"Let's go! We are going to be late," I heard him say through my closed door.

I glanced at my phone making me frown, it's barely 7:15 and school doesn't start till 8:20.

"Coming," I replied while grabbing my bag and opened my door to an empty hallway.

I walked into the kitchen with my school bag hung on my shoulders to see a man cooking on the stove that I didn't recognize. I stared at him, realizing that he had to be close to the Davis family.

He had to be in his late forties or early fifties judging based off of his grey hair and the wrinkles starting to appear on his face.

Juliana was at the counter on her phone while Lucas was looking in the fridge.

"Hey, Carolina," Juliana greeted when she saw me standing there. "I love your outfit."

I looked at my outfit choice: a green sweater and brown wide-leg jeans. I love earth tones. Glancing at Juliana's outfit looked like she belonged in Spring. With a pink maxi dress and white sandals, Juliana knew what theme she was going for in her outfit.

"Yours as well," I said back to her while walking closer to the counter.

"Oh! This is James, and he helps us around the house." Juliana explained, putting her phone down. "Thank God we have English together. English is my worst subject."

We got our schedules emailed last night, so we will know what class to go when we arrive. However, I've never been to this school. My father had showed me some photos of the school itself, but I'm going into an area that I haven't been to.

I chuckled at Juliana's comment while James set three bowls of eggs on the counter for each teenager in the kitchen.

"Thank you," I replied to James, who gave me a small smile.

Lucas closed the fridge when he pulled out a water bottle for himself. He glanced toward Juliana and me while grabbing his breakfast.

"Hurry up, the parking lot will be packed, and I want a good parking spot," Lucas said, almost walking out the front door.

"We just got breakfast," Juliana said, standing up and grabbing her bowl.

"Doesn't school start at 8:20?" I asked moving out of the way as Lucas went past me.

"Have you seen New York morning traffic?"

"Eat on the way, and J is right," Lucas replied to Juliana's comment. "See you later, James!"

I grabbed my bowl and followed the Davis' towards the door. Juliana and I waved towards James, who waved back with a smile. The elevator ride was rarely quiet except when Lucas looked in my direction.

"The color scheme of your outfit reminds me of a tree."

I looked down at my outfit once more to see the green and brown. I looked back at him, "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"