chapter four

isabella lavin

Sitting in front of the mirror, I put a coat of mascara on my lashes and got ready to go out with MJ and Ned into the city.

Knowing I was going to meet up with friends felt odd. I've been so used to being alone that it just felt weird knowing how things had changed in the three days I've been here.

I closed my mascara and put my makeup into my makeup bag. Turning my head, I saw Juliana come into my room with her phone attached to her hand.

"Carolina?"

I continued to dig through my makeup bag, looking for my gloss. I don't know why I was struggling to find this product, as my father had given me only five makeup products in this bag.

"Carolina! I'm talking to you."

I turned to Juliana, completely forgetting that Carolina was my name. I've been used to everyone around me calling me my actual name, so Carolina doesn't feel like me.

Her face changed utterly as she eyed the gloss in my hand. "Woah, where did you get that gloss? In the 1900s?" She asked while sitting down next to me and started to look through my bag.

"Oh Carolina, we are going shopping tomorrow. Half of this shit is expired."

I blinked, not realizing that makeup can expire. I didn't have a major female influence around me, making me uneasy when I noticed Juliana judging the products.

Juliana looked at me, "It's not that you need it anyway." She backtracked smoothly, "You genuinely have perfect skin. I'm jealous."

I shrugged; maybe it wouldn't hurt to go shopping for makeup products. "We should still go shopping. I'm running low on products away."

She beamed at me and touched my shoulders as if I just said something important.

"Retail therapy tomorrow, I'm so excited. I love having another girl in the house."

I chuckled at her and approached my phone to see Michelle's text, five minutes away.

"Where are they taking you away?" Juliana asked, still looking through my makeup bag.

I shrugged, "To be honest, I have no idea. I hope it's not Times Square."

"I'm going to laugh if they take you to Times Square," Juliana said, closing my bag to look at me thoroughly. "You look pretty. You're so getting asked to Homecoming," she stated, leaving my room.

"Homecoming?" I asked, grabbing my mini purse and following her out of my room. "Isn't that prom?"

Juliana started to laugh while reaching the kitchen. She got a bowl of grapes from James' hand and turned to me. "They are completely different dances. Homecoming is next month, and considering how many boys are coming up to me asking if you're single, the chances of you getting a date are likely."

My eyebrows frowned, taking in her information.
"You're getting a date too?"

"Date? No, the boys at our school are disgusting."

"Who's disgusting?" Lucus asked, coming into the kitchen.

He reached to grab grapes from Juliana, but she extended her arm so he wouldn't grab any.

"You," Juliana said before she groaned in annoyance when she saw him grab some grapes from her bowl.

"Bitch, get your own."

"Don't be a brat, Juliana," Lucas replied while shoving grapes into his mouth.

I knew Juliana was about to explode, so I started to head towards the door, only to find Michelle and Ned about to knock on the door.