Good Mornings Again

(ANNABETH)

I slowly opened my eyes, the sun filtering in the windows. It was warm in the Poseidon Cabin, wrapped in blankets next to Percy.

But then I paused; I couldn't feel Percy beside me.

I turned around and... the bed was empty. Like it used to be. My pulse started to quicken, but I told myself to calm down. He'd probably just gotten up earlier.

My brain told me that there's no way that Percy got up early, but I ignored it.

I threw the blankets off of me and tore apart the Poseidon Cabin, slowly starting to panic. He wasn't there.

I ran out in my pajamas, not even bothering to change. I started screaming for him, as campers exited their cabins rubbing their eyes sleepily.

I threw open the doors to every cabin in sight, screaming, looking for Percy. He couldn't just be gone. He couldn't. He had to be here somewhere... It couldn't have been a dream- there's no way.

The reality sunk in. I'd really missed him so much that I'd dreamt about having him back. It... it had felt so real.

I sunk to my knees and began to sob, right in the middle of camp. I really didn't care. How cruel could the gods be? They'd already taken him from me once, and then they'd done it again. There was nothing even left for me at camp, so why did I stay? Why was I even still alive if he's not here for me when I wake up?

Piper ran up to me, throwing herself down beside me. She grabbed my shoulders and started to shake them.

"Annabeth, wake up. It's a dream, it's okay. Wake up," she said urgently.

"I- what? Piper, what?" I replied, still crying.

"Wake up!" she demanded.

My eyes snapped open.

The sun filtered through the windows just like in my dream, but the thing that was different was that I was wrapped in Percy's arms.

"It's okay, it's just a dream," Percy said softly, pulling me closer.

I melted into his embrace, my body shaking with sobs. Percy whispered soothing things into my ear as I cried.

I never wanted to be alone like that.

"Please don't leave me again," I said quietly, sniffling, and I wasn't sure if he'd heard me.

"Never again, not if I can help it," he replied.

He started to hum "you are my sunshine", and I fell asleep again in his arms.

...

When I woke up again, I was still in Percy's lap, wrapped in his arms as he leaned his back against the wall and his head on my shoulder. I could hear him softly snoring, and I almost cried. Again. I don't think I would ever be able to sleep alone again, now that I remember what it feels like to be held. Loved.

I'd missed him so much.

Today we'd be going to camp Jupiter, with Arion coming to pick us up. Percy wanted to iris message Reyna ahead of time but Jason insisted that it's be better as a surprise. I agreed.

What's better than finding out your dead friend is actually alive?

But for now I just wanted to stay here, wrapped in his arms, trying to forget how hard the past year had been. And I really could put it out of my mind; it almost felt like a dream now that he was really right here beside me.

I'm terrified that one day I'll wake up alone again, and this was all some elaborate dream, maybe a trick. But for now, I'm content.