The Word is the Mightiest Weapon

Feel free to comment any suggestions or anything in particular you liked/disliked. Comments and votes are the things that keep me going through the day so, thank you so much. Most chapters will be around 800-1200 words long, just a heads up :)

(CHARACTERS NOT OWNED BY ME)

(If you guys could comment feedback, that'd be awesome <3)

ANNABETH

Annabeth woke up early, pretty excited to get training again. It had been months since she'd been in the arena, much less training someone else. Before heading down, though, where she was sure she would meet Jack, she decided to take a walk on the beach.

What she didn't expect to see was him, sitting on the beach, shirtless, watching the sunrise, sand in his hair. Instead of approaching, she decided to just watch. So when Jack stood up, Annabeth flinched, expecting him to turn around and see her. Instead, he dove into the waves without warning. 

He resurfaced, running his fingers through his hair, which gave Annabeth butterflies. It was such a familiar thing, something Percy used to do constantly, that it made her immediately at ease. Jack was shoulder-deep in the water when Annabeth noticed the glowing skin of a Nereid. She almost ran over to warn Jack, but stopped when she saw the gorgeous Nereid simply tap him on the shoulder. He turned around and laughed, and they became deep in conversation.

Annabeth never knew anyone that could communicate with the Nereids while in their domain, without being drowned. She sat there, deep in thought, when Jack waved a goodbye to the elegant Nereid, and she dove back under. Jack proceeded to climb out of the water and shake his hair dry. He shook his shirt clear of sand, and put it back on. He turned to look in the direction of the Poseidon cabin, and then made his way in the general direction of the training arena. 

Annabeth decided to catch up with him. 

"Hey," she said, "Let's make a detour so you can pick out a weapon to start with." 

Jack looked surprised that she was there, but accepted it and nodded, and they headed over.

...

"How about this?" Annabeth yelled from across the shed, holding a simple sword. 

Jack bit his lip, thinking hard. "Nope. I'm looking for something specific, I know it. It's a sword, but I don't see it anywhere. I'll know it when I see it." Annabeth nodded and set the sword back down. 

Jack ended up next to the shelf where Annabeth had set Riptide, Percy's old sword. Nobody dared to touch it because they all knew who it belonged to. Jack picked up the pen, and Annabeth's breath hitched. 

"Put that back!" she cried, and Jack jumped. 

"Oh. Sorry," he set it back down, "You know what, I'll just grab something random." He picked up a sword leaning against the side wall. 

Annabeth sighed in relief, and they headed out to the training arena. 

Jack suddenly stopped, and looked confused. He felt his back pocket, and pulled out a pen. But not just any pen- Riptide. He looked so lost.