Forty: An Unwanted Visitor

"Mr Desmarais?" Matt glanced up, his eyes falling on Charlotte Owens hovering skittishly by his office door. Her hands were clasped before her, her blue eyes watching him guardedly. A slight blush had crept into her cheeks, the same colour as her rose lips. Her hair had been woven into a loose French plait, with curls escaping here and there. She wore her pale blue pinafore and white blouse, appearing unassuming and delicate, misleading to anybody who didn't know what she was capable of.

"Good evening, Miss Owens," he smiled, an unexpected sense of gladness washing over him, though what was its source he could not know; or to be more exact - he did not want  to know.

"I hope you don't mind my intrusion?" she breathed, watching him for a moment, a wary expression on her face.

"Of course not," he nodded gently, standing up and offering her a seat. She hesitated for a moment and exhaled deeply before closing the office door. She sat down and flashed a cheerful smile, her entire face lighting up. Dimples appeared in her cheeks and her eyes twinkled brightly. She was almost believable he thought, smirking, but he was too aware of her tense shoulders and balled fists, hidden in the folds of her dress. "What can I do for you today?" he asked, taking his seat once more.

"I just wanted... to say thank you," she said in a rehearsed rush. "You didn't have to help me, but you did and I greatly appreciate it".

"You're welcome," Matt replied, leaning back in his chair. "I just hope I won't have to rescue you again". Charlotte's cheeks flushed a deep magenta, as she broke eye-contact.

"You won't, I promise," she whispered, glancing up uncertainly.

"Miss Owens, can I ask you why you were on the Western Cliffs?" Charlotte looked at him and sighed with a mixture of unease and exasperation. "And I would like the truth," he said sternly, interlocking his fingers. He felt exceedingly false, staring at a girl who was not that much younger than him and was far more important and powerful than he was, but he felt he needed to know. If they were planning a revolt he wanted to ensure Harris was off the island before anything happened. After that he honestly found himself feeling indifferent to the entire thing.

"Honestly," she frowned, pursing her lips, her shoulders sagging.

"Honestly," he repeated, looking at her imploringly. She grimaced and sighed, her body language changing completely, as she rolled her eyes. "I promise this will remain between us... as long as it is in my favour".

"Your favour?" she frowned, puckering her lips thoughtfully.

Matt grinned and spread his arms wide, trying to appear innocent. "Don't worry if it was in my interest to turn you over to Elmhirst, I would have brought you to him when I found you".

She watched him suspiciously but shook her head and sighed. "I was training with Alexander in the training halls and somehow we missed the bell for curfew. We tried to get back without being caught, but Elmhirst and Bennett intercepted us and well... we fled. We ended up in a large bunker beneath the school and it led to an old tunnel that brought us out under the Western Cliffs. Bennett and some others — forgotten perhaps, were behind us," she explained.

"Us? So Alexander was with you," he remarked, as she flushed, caught in her own lie.

"Yes," she breathed, biting her lip. "When I sensed you approach I knocked him out. I was trying to save him the torture of detention again but..." she breathed, picking distractedly at the edge of Matt's desk.

"But, I wasn't being the bad guy," Matt smiled gently.

"No - I guess not," she sighed. "It's just most people here are bad, sir". Her blue eyes darkened slightly, glazing over.