Four: Paranoia

The moment the door swung shut behind Elmhirst, the students breathed an audible sigh of relief. Charlotte closed her eyes, resting her head against the tall back of the chair. The opening exhibition was in two days and she would have to start working with James if they were to have any hope in winning the captain's exhibition. That was if he would work with her at all, which she doubted.

She glanced at her watch. Charlotte hoped she would have had time to go to the training halls before classes started. She had neglected her hand-to-hand combat over the last few weeks and wanted to refresh her skills. She was about to leave the table and her hostile breakfast beside James Alexander, when a Forgotten appeared and handed Charlotte a note.

Reading the note, Charlotte groaned and handed it to James without a word. They had been summoned to Elmhirst's office again. It was the last thing Charlotte needed. The more she found herself before Elmhirst, the more likely she was to slip up and find herself in trouble.

"Charlotte?" Iseult called from their table. She hurried over to her as she walked towards the exit. Charlotte knew she couldn't linger and as always Iseult seemed to realise this without being told. She fell into step beside Charlotte and James, followed by Ian who had once again started laughing at Charlotte's predicament.

"Yeah?" Charlotte sighed, not looking at her.

"You're head girl," she stated. Ian began to laugh harder. Charlotte shot him a dangerous look, before glancing at Iseult as they moved outside.

"It looks like it," Charlotte sighed, trying not to sound as worried as she felt in front of James Alexander. She knew Iseult would see right through it anyway. It was impossible to hide anything from Iseult.

Iseult caught her hand and pulled her to a halt. Charlotte looked at her, aware that James had paused too, glaring at them. Ian had stopped laughing, as if he had suddenly realised this wasn't some stupid joke. Iseult looked at Charlotte, her face a mask of worry. Charlotte cast her eyes to the ground, embarrassed under her best friend's concerned gaze.

"He is looking for something, you know, something to... break you," she breathed. "Charlotte you need to do whatever he says, he doesn't want you to leave the island - either of you".

Charlotte frowned at Iseult, her chest constricting. She thought she had known it was all too convenient, but when Iseult said it, she knew it had to be true.

"Either of us?" James asked, his tone matter-of-fact. Iseult just smiled at him, her eyes full of sadness. James seemed to accept the news far better than Charlotte had expected.

"So this is just a trap?" Charlotte breathed.

"Yes, I think so," Iseult frowned, "but the outcome is still undecided. He is certain you will mess up and then he can do what he likes with you".

"Forgotten?" Ian asked, but Iseult didn't reply.

"No, not Forgotten," James exhaled, his tone heavy.

"If we don't mess up though?" Charlotte frowned, almost pleading with Iseult for the answer.

"You need to impress the patrons and you must impress Desmarais. You need to show them that you are worth taking from here," Iseult said. "All you have to do is prove how much you are worth".

Charlotte bit her lip. It wasn't as easy as that. It was never as easy as that.

"I know, I know," Iseult replied to Charlotte's unspoken concern. "Just look at this as another way to defeat him. Rise to the challenge and show him just how strong you are".